Chapter 2

Pete led Sam up the sandy path, walking single file through the tall bushes, coming out onto the dirt road. They turned left and walked past a couple campsites, then Pete entered their site, situated back in the trees. They were at the end of the road, on a large lot; trees surrounded them on three sides and ran partially across the front.

Their tent was set up on a wooden platform in the clearing and the picnic table and firepit were in the area beside it, hidden by the trees that lined the front. The other sites were set well apart, barely visible. Dave was sitting at the picnic table and stood up as they walked over.

Sam looked around. "I think you have the best site here."

Pete nodded in agreement. "It helps to know the owner. Dave's dad, my uncle, owned this place for years, then he handed it over to him. How many years have you had it now, Dave?" Pete asked his cousin.

"It's been about 3 years. I took it over when Dad retired." Dave answered.

The girls had pulled in and came up to join in their conversation.

"We've been camping here all our lives." Sarah added.

Midgie laughed. "Remember when we first started coming here?"

"You mean when we would sneak in or when our parents finally gave in and let us stay here alone?" Pete walked over and pulled a wooden cigar box from his bag. He took out a joint and lit it, passing it to Sarah.

She hit the joint and gave it to Sam as she explained. "We would tell our parents we were sleeping at the other persons house. Then after everyone was asleep, we would crawl out the window with our flashlights and sleeping bags and walk down the street to the campground. We were what, 10 or so?"

"Yeah." Pete picked up and continued the story. "Finally, I think we were about 13, our parents put their heads together and decided there was no stopping us. So they scouted out the place and found us the best site. They came and built a platform, and bought us a tent to put on it. Remember that first tent?"

Midgie giggled and shook her head. "That was just a small pup tent. Pete grew so tall, his feet stuck out the door. Two years later, they had to come out and build a bigger platform and they got us a bigger tent. And we've been camping here every chance we get."

"It's getting tougher now to get together here as often in the summer." Sarah explained. "I work at the restaurant, Midgie helps her mom at her salon, and Pete helps his dad at their hardware store."

"Wait a minute! Let me get this straight." Sam couldn't hold in his laughter as he listened to the three of them talking over each other. "From what Sarah told me, her dad owns the restaurant. Midgie, your mom owns a beauty salon. Pete, your dad owns the hardware store and Dave, you own this campground and you do real estate all year, too. You realize you have a monopoly on this town."

"Well, it is a small town, and our families have lived here forever." Pete laughed. "Welcome to Breezewood, New York. Our own little version of Mayberry. Home of the great football team, the Breezewood Bulldogs."

"Hah!" Midgie laughed. "What about the time we painted over the sign at the town limit from Bulldogs to Bullfrogs!"

"Oh my god! That's right! We did! I forgot all about that." Pete exclaimed.

Sarah joined in. "We really got in trouble for that one! Our parents grounded us for a month and made us cut all the lawns in our neighborhood."

"I think that was the same summer that we started partying." Midgie smiled as she reminisced. "Yeah, it was right here, in this tent. We were 15."

Dave laughed and crossing his arms, leaned back against the table, shaking his head. "I was here for that night. I remember you two girls got so wasted, we wouldn't let you go home. You couldn't handle the stuff back then."

Sam saw another look pass between Pete and Sarah, and again, wondered what was between them. He sat on the bench and watched closely as they gathered around the table, passing the joint and enjoying their reminiscing.

Sarah looked down, smiling, then sat beside him. He reached behind her, pulling her braid around to run his fingers up and down the plait. Leaning towards her, he tickled her nose with the tip. "You and your friends were little hellions when you were young."

"Yeah, we definitely were. But when you have all this", she spread her arms wide, "to grow up in, what could they expect? This was our playground."

She took the joint from Midgie and held it up to Sam. "Shotgun?"

He obliged, putting the lit end in his mouth, and bending towards her, blew the smoke between her puckered lips. She rested her hand on his shoulder, and he felt the coolness of her fingers on his sun warmed skin.

Sarah looked into his eyes as she inhaled the smoke; she had seen them open wider as she touched his shoulder. Smiling, she stayed close after he took the joint from his mouth, then she blew her smoke out, back into his face. He still held her braid between his fingers, playing with the end, absently.

They sat like that for a minute, staring into each others eyes, not speaking but yet feeling a connection that they couldn't break. They were interrupted by Pete, speaking up from the end of the table. "I'll get the fire started while you girls get the food together."

Sarah fluttered her fingers on Sam's shoulder, seeing the goosebumps raise on his arm. He held her braid as she started to stand up, giving it a tug. He whispered to her. "Maybe we could go for a walk later?"

"I'd like that." Sarah said softly.

***

Sarah and Midgie worked together, setting the table, putting out the condiments and bags of chips and pretzels, while Pete cooked the hot dogs on a grill over the fire.

Sam strolled casually over to the firepit and squatted down next to Pete. "You and Sarah....." He paused, waiting for Pete to pick up where he left off.

Pete glanced behind him at the girls, talking as they worked together. He was silent as he put the hot dogs on a plate. "We're friends." He said shortly and stood up.

Sam straightened himself up next to Pete, they eyed each other levelly and Pete spoke again, quietly. "Sarah isn't like the other girls you've been with."

Sam narrowed his eyes, and studied Pete's face, then nodded and answered. "I know."

While they ate, the radio from the tent blared out tunes. Dave asked Sam about his music and the future of their band. They all listened as Sam told them about the tour the band was on and the cities they were scheduled to appear in. Midgie asked Dave if he could take the time from the campground to go with them to Cleveland.

Dave nodded thoughtfully, "Yeah, if I could get someone to watch the place here, I'm up for a road trip. I think I can score some good stuff to take too." He fluffed her curls and leaned towards her. "We can stay the night."

She looked at him and smiled, coyly. "Sounds like it could be fun."

Dave winked and then stood up, reaching for her hand. Looking around the group, he asked. "We'll see you at the bonfire tonight, right?"

"Hell, yeah, I can't wait. I'm going to see a friend of mine now, he's got some hash brownies for us. I'll meet you guys there." Pete picked up his car keys and looked over at Sarah, his eyebrow cocked up. She gave a slight nod and he turned and headed for his car.

Midgie turned to Sarah, whispering. "I'm going with Dave, I'm helping him get ready for tonight. Now's your chance with Sam." She giggled. "Have fun!"