Prologue

She is both, hellfire and holy water. 

And the flavor you taste depends on how you treat her.

~Sneha Pal

__________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

I remember when I first shifted. I remember when it took two hours. I remember the pain and thinking that it would be the worst pain I would ever feel. I remember the red crimson blood that stained the white winter snow. I shifted when I was just seven years old. I can still feel the pain, hear my screams and see my family's and the alpha family's eyes, when I close mine and concentrate. The fear the sat on their faces and deep in their souls. When they looked at me, fully in wolf form, the mothers had to hold in their screams while the children sat in their arms, heads buried into their necks and the fathers tried to keep a blank fearless face, as I towered over them when I stood. My black and white ombré wolf with gray eyes put fear in them. Then, there was Alex, The Alpha's son, he was eight at the time. His eyes held no fear, his face was bright and merry as he ran towards me with wide open arms. Upon arrival, he latched himself on one of my front legs. I was so scared of hurting him, of making one wrong move and crushing him. I nudged him away with my nose, laid down belly flat and showed my neck as a sign of loyalty. I can remember the fear that lived deeply in my whole body as the Alpha approached my hand out, Palm up. I can still hear my whimpers and he came closer and closer as if stalking prey. When he crouched down in front of me and placed his hand on my head I can remember holding back the growl. A growl that would have shaken the earth beneath us. I remember shifting back and not feeling any pain. I remember shifting back with my clothes still on.

I remember Alex shifting. I remember when it took him eight hours to shift. I remember the green grass that was painted with the red crimson blood  I remember every crack and scream. He was thirteen when he shifted, the prim age for an alpha male to shift. I remember being the only pack member who didn't flinch at every crack as his bone rearrange themselves. I remember the smell of his burning flesh as fur filled and popped out of every pore in his body. I remember how his and my family didn't have any fear on their face. The mothers didn't have to hold in screams, the children didn't have to hide, and the fathers had no trouble keeping a blank face. The fear no longer sat on their faces and no longer sat deep in their souls. Alex didn't tower over anyone in his wolf form beside the children. His plan brown wolf with green eyes put happiness in their eyes instead of fear. I remember when the alpha told me to shift and walk towards his son. I remember when his eyes turned gold and his wolf growled at me believing that I was a threat. I remember the growl not shaking the earth. I remember when his pounced on me acting fully on instinct. When I tumbled to the ground and showed my neck to him. When he positioned for a kill strike. When his father in wolf form growled loudly and approached us commanding his son to get off of me and shift. I remember him shifting back with a painful howl. I remember him shifting back with no clothes on.

I remember being different.