Chapter 9 - Rescue

Breathe. Just breathe. Easier said than done. People were scrambling around and screaming everywhere I looked. Chaos was the only word I could use to describe what I was seeing, complete and utter chaos. Everyone was shoving towards the front of the restaurant to escape the madness, but from where I sat, I could see a clear path to the back exit.

Now, I was faced with the decision of listening to Nico and staying put or leaving, either taking my fate into my own hands or leaving it in the hands of a psycho criminal who belongs to the Mafia. I was no longer letting people dictate my life. That was the old me. So I guess going out the back exit it is. I nearly threw up while crawling my way through the restaurant over broken glass and dead bodies.

About twenty men dressed in black suits with guns armed and ready came flying from nowhere to aid the others. I pushed open the door to the back exit and made my way down the deadly, quiet hallway. Once I saw the exit sign, I breathed relief and pushed my way out into an abandoned alley. Where do I go now? I can't go back to my apartment and involve Tamara or anyone else I care about. Maybe I should've considered this before deciding to 'take my fate into my own hands.' Caught up in my thoughts, I didn't notice anyone approaching me until I was grabbed from behind. A scream lodged in my throat when a grimy hand covered my mouth. Why does this keep happening to me?

"If you know what's good for you, you'll stay quiet." A rough voice spat into my ear, sending shivers of disgust down my spine. I did the only thing I could think of bit his hand.

"Ow! You bitch!" He screeched as he let go. Running as fast as I could, I rounded a corner only to be pulled back by my hair. Why the hair? It's so cliché.

"Let go!" I screamed while slamming my heel onto his foot.

"Ow." He tightened his grip on my hair while curling an arm around my waist and turning us to face his little posse. "So the bitch likes it rough, huh? I think we can live up to the challenge." He moved his hand down my body suggestively while laughing with his buddies.

"Hey! Shouldn't you be looking for one of your buddies for that?" I tried to hide my shaky voice as one of his hands gripped my breast, and the other traveled dangerously lower.

"And why would I do that when I have such a fine piece of ass within my reach." He asked while moving the hand on my breast to my ass and squeezing for emphasis. I felt sick to my stomach.

"Cause I'm a female, so you wouldn't really be following the into men guidelines." No matter what he did, I wouldn't break or show him that he was getting to me because he'd win.

"You smart-ass little bitch."

"Hey, I'm no female dog!"

"What are you talking about?" He asked, then turned towards his posse. "What is she talking about?" Great, I'm gonna die at the hands of morons. How did my life turn out this way? Suddenly, an idea came to me, and I figured, what the hell? What do I have to lose? I'm going to die if I don't.

"Do you like your nose?" I asked randomly.

"Why?" He asked, confused.

"Because I heard nose jobs are a bitch."

"Wha—" Without giving him enough time to respond, I drove my right elbow back into his face before hearing the satisfying crunch of his nose. I didn't waste time sprinting back towards the restaurant exit with all of them hot on my trail. I had the door handle within my grasp but froze when I heard the cock of a gun behind me. Shit! I was so close.

"Turn around. I'm done playing games with you." Slowly turning around, I stared down the barrel of a gun, and almost immediately, fear spread through my veins like the plague.