Chapter 15 - Facing Truths

Nico had us switch cars several times to confirm that no one was following us. When I asked him where he kept getting these cars from, he only responded that he 'borrowed' them. As we entered the last leg of our journey, according to mister paranoia, I started to feel cramped in the small car space. Being close to Nico constantly and pretending he didn't set all my senses on fire was torture.

I just could not wait to get to this unknown location, and I had to hope he was not looking to axe murder me. Anything to get me out of this car with no air conditioning and from having to listen to this god-awful music.

    "Can we please listen to something else? My ears are bleeding." I covered my ears while wincing to drive my point home.

    "Drama queen."

    I gasped, "Who? Me?" I covered my chest in feigned shock. Nico just rolled his eyes. "But seriously, can you-"

    "No." Rude. Nico leaned his forearm on the center console, and I wanted to sigh wistfully. The sleeves of his button-up shirt were rolled up, showcasing his muscles and tattoos.

    I quickly tried to change the radio dial, but Nico lightly slapped my hand away. "Ow, that was uncalled for."

    "Then stop trying to change my music."

    "If anyone has a right to be pissed, it would be me after that stint you pulled back at the strip club," I huffed.

    "Like you didn't enjoy it. We can pull over and hop in the back seat if you need a reminder." I itched to wipe off his arrogant smirk.

    "No, thank you. It was a lapse in judgment and to not be repeated."

    "We'll see."

***

    "Callie, wake up." I jerked up straight and smacked my head into something hard. "Fuck. Jesus Callie."

    I opened my eyes to see Nico standing outside the car, holding his head. Oops. "Where are we?"

    "A sanctuary of sorts."

    "Goons with guns won't show up to this one, right?"

    "Very funny. No. Now get inside." I slowly followed Nico into the beautiful stone mansion.

    As I stepped inside, an eerily silence reigned. "This isn't where you kill me, is it? Because as far as places to die goes..." I trailed off when I met his gaze and saw utter bewilderment.

    "What is actually wrong with you? I had my dick inside you within the last twenty-four hours, why would I kill you?"

    "Something tells me that wouldn't exactly stop you. And not exactly smart to remind me of that little scene you pulled."

    "Come." He walked towards the back of the house and into a giant marbled kitchen. "Sit." Nico gestured towards a stool on the island.

    "I'm sorry, did you lose the ability to speak in more than one worded phrase?"

    "My apologies, gattina; please sit so I may feed you." I blushed at his nickname for me and sat down.

    "Well, you didn't mention feeding me," I muttered. Nico just rolled his eyes and went about his task.

An hour later, we both were full, and I sat in the living room watching the news, which surprisingly held nothing about our little escapades. Nico reentered the room, looking grim.

    "Finally done with that phone call?"

    "Yes, not so good news. We'll be staying here for a while until things calm down." Then he walked out, effectively ending the conversation.

On our second night here, one of Nico's 'men' showed up to be my bodyguard, and Nico disappeared, saying he'll be back soon. That was three weeks ago.

***

Terror filled me as a hand clamped up my mouth, effectively rousing me from sleep. A startled scream lodged into my throat as I struggled to calm my breathing and fight.

    "Easy," came a gruff voice, one I recognized. Now, my body is filled with a different kind of emotion. Anger quickly replaced terror.

Nico's handsome face filled my vision as he clicked on the bedside lamp. That moment cost him as I shoved him off the bed. He fell with a groan. I barely reached the other side of the bed before he grabbed ahold of my ankle and dragged me back towards him.

    "Let go of me," I struggled in the bedding until he filled me over and settled on top of me, smirking. The jerk. Just as I went to hit him, he pinned my hands to the sides of my head.

    "Now, now, no need for such violence."

    "You," I huff in exertion. "You disappear for three weeks, leaving me holed up in some fancy mansion like a doll, and now you come back to scare the living daylights out of me? Is there something wrong with your brain?" I was shouting by the end.

    Nico winced, "Not my finest moment, but it was important."

    "What was so important? Why am I even here?" I asked, exasperated. I was over all the secrets. "Tell me the truth for once."

    "You'll wish I hadn't," Nico muttered while studying my eyes, looking for something I didn't understand.

    "Nico...please," I whisper in desperation. Nico releases my hands. We both sit facing each other on the bed.

    "I have a special skill set that makes me highly valued in my world." His way of saying the mafia world. I nod my understanding and urge him to continue. "My boss required me to use those skills to remove an enemy from our list of problems." Aka, the boss asked him to kill an enemy.

    Nico stared at his hands like they were still encased in blood. I gently place my hand on his jawline and cheek. Forcing him to meet my gaze. "Why?"

    "For you. To protect you." His words caused my heart to race.

    "How does it protect me?" Confusion laces my tone.

    "I wasn't prepared for you. I wasn't prepared to feel this way. Attachment gets you killed in my line of work, but I don't care. Burn me, Callie. Because I'm so fucking in love with you." I released the breath I didn't know I was holding and brought my shaky hands towards my face.

    "I—"

    "You don't have to say anything. I know that I've been cruel to you, and you deserve the white picket fence dream, which is the opposite of me. So I need you to walk away from me because I tried and am incapable. And if you stay in my orbit, I'll burn you."

I studied the man in front of me. This is probably the only time Nico has ever shown this level of emotion, and I know in my soul that this isn't some game he's playing with me. This was real. And something terrible must be going on for him to finally confess his feelings. Nico was vulnerable, and I could tell it was painful for him. A sane person would have run away and go back to their life. But when have I ever been the sane one?

    I lifted my hands to cradle his face before leaning close enough that our foreheads touched and said the words that sealed my fate, "If you burn, I burn."

___________________________
Hi Wattpad friends!

Don't forget to add this book to your library to stay up to date, vote on each chapter, and comment any predictions but also what you are enjoying or not!

Much love,
Emily Rose (@creativemindxo)