Chapter 12 (Mature) - First Shootout

*Warning MATURE scene ahead*

This book is rated mature for a reason. If tons of violence, lots of swearing, and explicit sexual scenes between two consenting adults bother you, then this is not the story for you.

______________________________________________

Rough hands hastily dragged me through a door into an isolated parking lot. I tried to think about how I found myself here-currently getting pulled along by a gun-wielding maniac. Nico now had his gun that was hidden in the waist of his pants that, I had somehow failed to notice out in the open as he rushed me outside. I must have had more drinks than I thought. I covered my mouth as the motion threatened to unleash my unsteady stomach.

"Do not tell me you're going to be sick."

"I don't feel so good. What were in those drinks?" I gasped and grabbed Nico's arm as I vaguely remembered being in a chapel. "We didn't get married, did we?"

Nico shook his head. "Don't sound too excited at the prospect."

"I'm sorry if I don't want my first wedding to be at some skeevy hotel."

"Jesus, you could argue over anything. Have you forgotten about the two men following us?"

"I find that offensive. If you weren't so damn irritating, then I wouldn't argue with you."

"Why, you little..."

"What?"

By now, Nico and I were standing face to face; it was actually more like my face was the height of his chest. We were in a glare-off. The world around us ceased to exist as we felt that invisible thread pulling us together. Suddenly, I was in his arms with his lips attached to mine. His hands held my face in place, and the moment his lips touched mine, I felt like a goner. I tangled my hands in his hair and moaned softly. It felt like eons since we last kissed, and I was desperate for it never to stop and for him to be permanently attached to me. I fisted his shirt in frustration, trying to get closer to him, if even possible. Then he was gone, and I blinked my eyes open as I got pulled behind a car in the parking lot.

"What the actual hell, Nico?" I spat as I furiously wiped my mouth. Why does he turn me on the way he does? Not ten seconds after I snapped at him, something came, wising by where we had been standing. "What was that?" The last half of my question was muffled by Nico's sweaty ass hand covering my mouth. He hissed at me to shut up as he spun me towards him. The same seriousness he had at his apartment when those men came in was currently present on his face.

"What's wrong?"

"They've found us. I let my guard down, which I seem to do a lot around you."

"How did you know?"

"The scope reflected off the car's mirror."

"So you're like a legit killer?" A glare was the only response I received.

"I'm going to draw their fire towards the left while you run towards the woods. Once you start, don't stop, okay?"

"You're not coming with me?" Pure fear filled me. "I can not just leave you."

"As you've said yourself, this is what I do."

"Nico, I-"

"Get ready."

Before I could fully grasp why, I leaned over and kissed his cheek. "Be safe."

"Now." Nico started shooting around the car at some unseeable enemy.