Chapter 40

ONE YEAR LATER.

*

"That's alright, sweetie." Margaret replied.

She crossed my path on my way to Tennessee, her and her husband.

They're really sweet people, and almost in their sixty's.

I've been with them for a year now, and I miss my family more than I thought I would.

There wasn't a day I didn't think about them.

I walked into the cabin, deciding to fix dinner.

Once I was in the middle of fixing dinner, I heard screams from outside.

I ran outside, finding walkers feasting on J.R and Margaret.

I gasped, killing the four walkers as fast as I could.

I dropped to my knees beside them, Margaret grabbing my hand.

"Go home, sweetie." She whispered.

I cried, looking around to figure out how this had happened when I spotted the bobbed wire which was tangled around their feet.

"I'm sorry." I cried, looking to J.R who was already dead.

I looked back at Margret who had blood seeping from her stomach.

"Please, go back to your family. Home is where the heart is." She continued, squeezing my hand.

I nodded, getting my knife out and sending it through her husband's skull.

"Do it." She begged.

"Thank you for helping me, and being my sweet friend." I cried, watching her smile.

"Don't let this world change you, baby. Go find your family, you need them." She replied.

I nodded again before putting my knife behind her head and putting her out of her misery.

I stood up and screamed out before walking inside and slamming the cabin door.

-

I placed the last flower on their bodies before getting in the truck and driving back to Alexandria.

The truck slowed to a stop and I was finally out of gas.

I was probably a half mile away from Alexandria, and my excitement grew.

What if they all hated me? I wonder what Maggie's baby looks like? I wonder if Carl is okay, or if Judith has started walking yet.

Once the familiar gates appeared in front of me, I heard my name being squealed from inside the community.

The gate slid open, revealing Maggie.

I smiled, her arms wrapping around me.

"I'm mad at you, but I'm so glad you're okay!" She exclaimed.

"Did you have the baby?" I asked.

"No, I gave it back." She teased.

"He's asleep right now, but you need to see everyone else. We've missed you so much!" She replied.

"Sam?" Carl asked.

"Carl." I sighed, all of my worries leaving.

He wrapped his arms around me, before pulling away.

"Where's Judith?" I asked.