As She Lays Dying

(Silver)

When the room righted itself, I turned on Krista in outrage. "How could you do that? I was talking to Alana!" I snapped. Her tail flicked but she said nothing. I started to step forward, but froze when I recognized the room we were in. I turned to the bed and, sure enough, Alana lay crying into her pillows, her shoulders shaking. She screamed into the cotton and I ached to hold her. She looked about fifteen now and I could tell something was wrong.

"Get out of my head!" She suddenly yelled, shocking me as she sat up and tossed her pillows on the floor. She grabbed something off her nightstand and held it against her arm. Tears trekked down her face. "Oh, Ethan." She whimpered. "I'm gonna be with you soon, big brother."

And then she cut open her arm and watched, fascinated, as her blood began to pour out. It bled until her jeans were black and her white sheets were scarlet. She lifted the knife again, this time on her other arm, and cut again. Her hand was shaking so badly that she didn't cut as deep the second time as she did with the first. She dropped the bloody instrument and fell backwards, bouncing on her mattress slightly. I rushed to her side just as her eyes locked on me and she smiled. And then she was gone. Dead. Sightlessly gazing up at me from her bed.

"Hello?" A familiar old voice said as the door creaked open. Warm brown eyes locked on Alana's lifeless form and she gasped before rushing over to my mate's side. "Lanie?" Cried Miss Carrie, her wrinkled hands moving over my girlfriend quickly.

And then her skin melted. She went from an old woman to a tall, elegant blonde. She began chanting in Latin and I watched, speechless, as Alana's arms healed. The woman cupped Alana's cheek. "I couldn't let you die." She shook her head as one single tear slid down her face to splash on Alana's chest.

Alana bolted upright, her eyes squeezing shut before slowly opening to reveal silver irises. She blinked a few times and then slowly fell back to her mattress, where her and Carrie seemed to speak for a moment. Muttered words I couldn't hear due to my shock. Miss Carrie, a woman I'd thought a witch, was actually an angel. She glanced up as Alana's head lolled to the side.

"You shouldn't be here," Miss Carrie hissed, making me step back in shock. Was she talking to me? But then a tall figure peeled out of the shadows and a man I'd never seen before stood in the golden light of Alana's room.

His eyes were as gray as Alana's mom's but his hair was pale blonde. His lips were twisted into what could only be a deranged smile as a woman melted out of the shadows beside him. She had blood red hair and eyes of the brightest emerald. "Luke and I only wished to see our niece." She murmured, stepping towards the bed.

"Stay away from her." Miss Carrie said menacingly. "She doesn't deserve that."

"Deserve what?" The woman replied, giving a slight tilt of her head. Miss Carrie went flying into the wall and my mouth fell open as the woman stepped forward again and placed her hand against Alana's head. My girlfriend's body shuddered once before stilling. "Your destiny once you turn will be to die. You will find true love and be content, but in the end you will end your own life to save his."

My fists clenched. This was why my love was dead. A curse forced on her by her aunt and uncle at the sweet age of fifteen. My canines extended and I barely noticed Krista as she rubbed against my leg. Calm down, she murmured. This is why you're here. I closed my eyes for a moment, taking a deep breath in and out. The woman's eyes glowed an eerie white for a moment before returning to green. She spun around to face her man and I watched her full lips curve into a smile.

"This will teach that whore to steal what isn't hers." She told Luke, patting his shoulder. "Go alert your brother, my pet."

And Luke visibly shuddered. Then he blinked, his gray eyes widening as he stared at the woman. "Mia," he whispered hoarsely. "Steve! Steve! Steve!"