09 | PSAT Madness

Chapter Nine

I strolled into the school building, looking for my pack of friends.

I didn't actually have school today, but I was going to be taking my PSATs. Lydia once told me how she took hers in her freshman year, and since I'm the top student in all of my classes, I figured I'd give it a shot.

I mean- I can always take it again if I fail...right?

As I walked through the halls, I spotted a long line of students waiting to go into the classroom.

"Does that mean I can take it some other time?" Malia's voice spoke up.

"Malia, you studied harder for this than any of us." Scott reassured.

"Doesn't mean I'm gonna do good." she argued.

"Well." I chimed in, proudly standing next to Stiles.

"'Well'...what?" Malia's face contorted in confusion.

"It's 'do well', not 'good'." I informed.

"Oh, god!" she exclaimed, causing me to sigh as I lightly patted her shoulder.

"Wait- what are you doing here?" Kira chimed in.

"I'm taking my PSATs today."

"You're choosing to be here?" Malia badgered,

"Uh- yeah." I chuckled, as we all moved up a step closer to the front of the line.

"I'm so screwed...I am so screwed." Malia freaked out, "I'm gonna fail, I'm not gonna-"

"Malia!" I shouted, cutting her off. "You are going to pass. We all are."

"Yeah, Liz is right." Scott nodded, "While we're trying not to die, we still need to live. If I survive high school. I'd like to go to college. A good college."

"When, you survive high school." I corrected, shooting him a smile.

"It's only three hours. We can survive three hours." Kira announced, as we all walked into the classroom. "We can survive three hours, right?"

I smiled, "Yeah, we can."

I got closer to the teacher's desk as a horrific stench filled my nose. "Ugh.." I groaned as my face scrunched up in disgust.

"What?" Stiles whispered,

"You don't smell that?" I narrowed my eyes.

"Smell, what?" he repeated.

"It smells like death."

His eyes widened slightly, as he placed his thumb on the ink-pad, and stamped his test booklet.

"Cell phone in the envelope, Scott. You'll get it back after the test." Ms. Martin spoke, holding out the envelope for Scott to put his phone in,

As I slowly stamped my thumb, the stench got worse. My face grew in disgust as I placed my thumbprint on my test booklet.

"Something wrong, Miss. Shields?" the creepy teacher asked.

"Hm?" I muttered, looking up at him.

"You look as though something is the matter." he clarified.

I scrunched my nose one last time before showing him a fake-smile. "Um, nope. Everything's fine. Nothing's 'the matter'." I mocked, scurrying away from his desk.