Chapter 18

Ally's POV

I think part of me knew that everything with Troy was too good to be true. I think that in the war between my head and my heart, my heart won. I let him back in. Why the fuck did I let him back in?

He was doing so well. He cleaned himself up. He said he did it for me - for us.

I had every intention of telling the girls, but it needed to be the right time. It was never the right time. When he showed up that day, everything stopped. I could see that glazed over look on his face. His hair a little wild. His button down only half tucked in. My heart broke like it had so many times before at the hands of the man I had loved since high school. I knew it was over, and I knew it even before he threw the punch. God, what was I thinking?

I was enjoying the little flashes of the Troy I fell in love with. Reveling in the small details of my sober ex-husband. Though it was good for my nostalgia, I think a part of me had known it wouldn't last. I have been subconsciously preparing myself for moving on for years and now that it is officially over, I need to get myself back in the game. I can't keep on trying to fix someone that can't be fixed at the risk of breaking myself.

I decide to download a dating app or two. I don't know much about apps but I do know that I don't have good luck with meeting guys in person, so I might need some extra help.

I set up my profile and start looking through the pictures. Well, he's good looking. Ugh, but he works at a night club. Pass.

After a few swipes, I stumble on a really good looking guy. 5 foot 8...he likes dogs. He loves God. He sounds...perfect. I check out his profile and he's 2000 feet away. How on earth could I get so lucky?

I decide to be really confident for once and send him a message. Gotta start somewhere if I want to 'get back out there'.

Me: Hey there

Ugh, was that too forward? Do I sound too desperate?

He quickly replies back. Oh thank god.

Him: I was just about to message you. Hi there :)

We speak on and off for the next three hours. He's so witty and smart and hot. I'm totally liking this.

Him: So will you meet up with me? Like, maybe tonight for dinner? I know it's soon, but I just want to meet you.

Is it too soon to be going out on a date? Probably, but who cares. It's a date, not a proposal. To hell with it.

Me: Yes, let's do it.

Him: Perfect. I'll pick you up at 6. I'm relatively new to the area. I trust that you know a good place to take me to ;)

This guy is so cute.

I'm so happy I could die.

--

Lauren's POV

A few days have passed and Camila and I are in bad shape. We changed the locks on both the door to my apartment and the one to Ally and Camila's. The entire apartment has been debugged and several small cameras have been removed from my place. They unfortunately were not able to be traced to any particular IP address. Of course they can't trace it. Why would anything be that easy in my life?

Cops are now stationed outside both of our apartments on a 24-hour watch. Dinah is luckily in charge of watching Camila and Ally's apartment. She is on a rotational duty, so she is supposed to switch off with Officer Redding halfway through the night, but she refuses. If we're at the apartment, Dinah is there, keeping an eye on us.