Chapter 5

Camila's POV

I am in the midst of a dream where Lauren, Dinah, Sofi and I are at the beach. I am sitting back watching Sofi tackle a protesting Lauren into an oncoming wave, when all of the sudden a man and woman begin screaming at one another down the shoreline. The voices are incredibly loud, considering how far down the beach they are, but Lauren, Sofi, and Dinah don't seem to notice the heated argument at all.

"THIS IS BECAUSE OF YOU!" I wake with a start and realize reality had been encroaching on my dream, and there really is a man screaming, just down the hall. I turn on the backlight of my phone to see the time - 3:27AM.

"That's right, Troy this is MY fault. It always is. Everything bad that has ever happened to you has ALWAYS come back to bite ME in the ass."

"I NEVER EVEN GOT THE CHANCE," Troy starts.

"WHAT Troy? What exactly did you never get the chance to do?!"

"TO GET OUT! I NEVER GOT THE CHANCE, ALLY! AND IT'S YOUR FAULT!

The arguing continues and I can hear Ally crying from where I am - down a hallway and through a closed door - and I can still hear it. I have no idea what I am supposed to do. I don't even know if he is aware I live here and that I am down the hallway. I have gotten to know Ally very well these last two months, but I can't help but feel like this isn't exactly my place.

I pick up my phone and call the first person I can think of.

"Hello?" A raspy, sleep ridden voice greets me.

"H-hi, Lauren? I'm really sorry if I... if I woke you," I say, now realizing how stupid I am for calling her at 3:30 in the morning.

"Wait, who is this?" Lauren says with the second half of her question trailing off, as I assume she went to look at her phone screen, "wait, Camila?" She suddenly sounds really alert.

"Oh, yeah I-I'm really sorry I shouldn't have called you this late... or early... nevermind, sorry I called you go back to sleep. I'm really sorry to bother you." I pull the phone away from my ear and hear something faint being yelled from the receiver.

"CAMILA, WAIT!!"

"I really didn't realize what time it was, I just didn't know who else to call," I say. Down the hall I hear the front door slam and it has gotten quiet. I hear Ally walk into her bedroom and shut the door.

"Camila what's wrong, are you okay?!"

"Yeah, I'm okay," I start, unsure of how much I can disclose of Ally's business. "It's just that Troy showed up again and there was a lot of screaming going on and some crying and I didn't know what to do."

"I am going to assume 'Troy' is Ally's ex-husband?"

"Yeah and I have heard them fight before but never like that," I explain.

"He left though? Where is Ally?" She asks, "Are you somewhere safe?"

The front door slams open and I can hear heavy footsteps enter the house and walk past my bedroom.

"Yeah, I'm in my bedroom right now. But, I'm not worried about me, I'm worried about Ally. I swear I heard him leave a minute ago, but he's back."

Just as I finish that thought there is a loud banging on a door down the hall accompanied by a booming voice, "OPEN THE FUCKING DOOR OR I WILL BREAK IT DOWN, ALLYSON."

"Is he violent? How much do you know about the situation between them?" she asks. I can hear the urgency in her voice.

"Ally has never told me if he's laid a hand on her. I really don't know to be honest. All I know is that they were married right out of high school - Dinah even knows him - and they got divorced early last year. He's come around the house to see her quite a few times since I moved in. Each time he yells and she cries, but I've never heard her fight back... until tonight." I hear a few more loud bangs on Ally's door before it opens and the screaming continues.