Chapter 4

Lauren's POV

My alarm goes off at 5:00AM and the sound seems to reverberate on the inside of my head. It bounces off the walls of my skull long after I shut it off. I really need to stop with these goddamn shots.

I feel like shit and have no one to blame but myself, so I force myself out of bed and right into the shower, hoping to feel some relief.

The shower is definitely doing the task of waking me up, and helping some of my hangover symptoms, but my head is swimming with vague memories of last night that I can't shake.

I finally get myself ready and head to the precinct. Once I arrive, I duck my head so no one can see my bloodshot eyes from, yet another hangover. I walk swiftly past Officer Redding, who looked absolutely gorgeous today, but I couldn't possibly approach her looking like this after failing to call her back.

When I reach my desk, I find a coffee and a bagel waiting for me. Sweet relief. Dinah knows just when to pull through.

I walk up behind her as she's chatting with Camila and give her a bear hug. "This is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me," I say, feigning tear drops and brushing them away. "Will you marry me, Dinah Jane?"

I get down on one knee and can see the amusement and confusion grow on Dinah's face.

"What on earth are you talking about?" she smiles. "Get your ass up from the floor. And my answer is a 'no' anyways, you're definitely not my type."

"Ugh, you're such a liar. The coffee...the bagel..." I give a little sass right back to her.

"Oh hell no, I woke up barely able to get out of bed. I think my eyelids are still shut. Are they?...." Dinah pokes her eyelids with her fingers. "Whatever. I for sure didn't go drive ten miles out of my way to get you some damn coffee."

We look at each other with confused eyes as I get up off of the floor and brush my pants off.

"I figured you could use some coffee and greasy food after the state you were in last night." Camila mumbles, her eyes cast down to the floor.

A silence lingers. I can hear Dinah chuckling softly to herself.

"Oh. Well you couldn't have been more right. Thank you...Camila. For the food, and also for taking care of my drunk ass last night," I say her first name hesitantly, although two of my clearest memories from last night involve Camila and that damn lip bite after she poured water on me, and her yelling to call her 'Camila' before basically peeling out of my street.

"Oh, yeah.. no problem at all," she says, quickly exiting the conversation and returning back to her desk.

Once she's out of sight, Dinah leans over to me, "So... what happened last night?"

"I mean, from what I remember? I kinda remember getting that girl's number at Robbie's, but I think I lost the paper. I remember a Honey Jack shot and maybe a beer or seven. I know there was a...water bottle involved, um...And then the next thing I know, I was in my bed knocked out."

"And in all of that, you don't remember anything else that happened?"

"No," I shoot back at her, "Why, am I supposed to have remembered something?"

"No," Dinah laughs, "I'm just annoying you now. I have no idea what happened."

"But," she adds, "You and Mila are getting along well I see..." Dinah does some wiggly thing with her eyebrows and then leaves me in the middle of the hallway by myself.

---

Normani jumps into the middle of the hallway as I make my way down to her office and she presents me with some copies of what I assume to be the autopsy.