Chapter 17

Camila's POV

I wake up to the smell of bacon and coffee and notice that spot in bed next to me is empty. Groggily getting out of bed, I toss one of Lauren's old t-shirts over my head, pull on a pair of boy shorts and head into the kitchen.

"Morning pretty," Lauren says, spatula in hand. Her hair is pulled back into a messy bun and she's wearing only an apron and her little boy shorts. I get little flashes of events of last night. I make my way over to her, wrapping my arms around her waist and pressing a lingering kiss to the soft skin just below her ear.

"God, you smell good." I smile into her neck and she chuckles softly in response.

I lean over her shoulder to take a peek and what she's making. "Don't freak out Camz, but yes, they are in fact banana pancakes."

I beam excitedly and pull her in for a kiss. "My favorite."

"Who - me or the pancakes?"

I grin and shrug. "The pancakes. But I mean, you're okay too."

She puts the spatula down and wipes her hands on the dish towel next to her. She turns her body around in my grasp and hugs me tight before sliding her arms down until she reaches my thighs. She picks me up and puts me on the counter, my legs now wrapped around her. She lightly grazes her lips against mine before we exchange one deep kiss that makes me light headed.

"Wow," is all I manage to say. I am literally rendered speechless by this woman in front of me.

"Are you still scared we'll compromise the case?" she asks, leaning in and placing kisses on my neck. My mind wanders again to the details of last night.

"I think that if we don't let this happen, we won't be able to do our jobs. I spent more time and energy trying to stifle my feelings for you than thinking about the case. It was driving me insane," I admit. "The worst part is that you are obviously wildly attractive-" I tilt my head to the side, biting on my bottom lip as I shamelessly look her up and down. My eyes wander back to her face and settle on her lips. I lean in and place a chaste kiss on her lips before finishing my thought. "But then you have to just go and have a mind that is equally as beautiful and make it impossible for me to continue to fight it."

"I like you -" she blurts out. "I mean, I enjoy your company, and stuff, and like, I just, and, but..."

"So this is what Lauren with feelings is like?"

"I can barely function, Camz."

We laugh for a few seconds, mostly at Lauren's cute expense. It's adorable to see her bashful for once.

"Laur..."

"Yeah?" she says with a small smile.

"...the pancakes."

Her eyes widen and she pushes out of my grasp "Shit."

Lauren quickly tosses the burnt pancake in the trash before loading more batter onto the skillet. "Stop distracting me."

"You were the one that picked me up and placed me up here an-"

"Shh," she scolds before continuing the cooking.

Breakfast was delicious. Well, duh... anything involving bananas is bound to be amazing. Just as I was about to sit down on the chair next to Lauren she pulls me into her lap and we sit like that for the remainder of breakfast.

We fall into our usual pattern of light banter to deep conversations and I realize how late it is when I glance over to the clock on the wall.

"I want to smother you with kisses right now, but we have to get to the station soon," Lauren says, deflating my happy bubble. "But there's something I want to talk to you about really quick."