Chapter 10

Lauren's POV

When I woke up next to Camila, I instantly became overwhelmed with everything that had happened last night. Hearing her soft breathing and feeling the small twitches while she slept, just a few feet away, is making it hard to know that I need to suppress these feelings that I have finally admitted for her. Two nights ago, we had cuddled up to one another, falling asleep in each other's arms; last night, we slept facing opposite walls with enough space between us for another body to fit.

I have never in my life felt such conflicting feelings. I also haven't experienced actual feelings for someone in years and it all just feels so foreign.

The sun was now showing through the blinds and illuminating the tips of her hair. It was so beautiful I found myself easily mesmerized by it.

My arms were heavy from sleeping on my side all night, and when I reached for my phone on the nightstand, it was almost impossible to grab anything with my numb fingers. Struggling with it for a few minutes, I finally got hold of the device, and turned the screen on. No new messages.

I skim through my recent messages, hoping I dreamt up the one from last night. Turns out it wasn't a dream - there, in my inbox, the anonymous text:

(973) 492 - 0998: You're getting warmer.

I wanted so badly to tell Camila about the text, but I didn't want to get her involved. It could just be one of the girls I've slept with trying to spook me. But for some reason, I just don't think that's the case.

"Hey Lauren," Camila says, picking her head up off of the pillow. I quickly shut my phone off and throw it onto the bed next to me.

"Hey."

A tiny Ally walks into the room, rubbing her eyes with her free hand, a coffee cup in the other. She lets out a small yawn.

"I got a call last night when you both were out, it was from the landlord of that apartment we were looking at in Middletown... We got it!" She adds an excited intonation to the end of her sentence.

"Oh, that's great Al. When can we move in?" Camila replies, far too eager for my liking.

"Well, the last tenants have already moved out, so we can technically move in today if we wante-"

"Today, let's do it," Camila cuts in, before Ally finishes her sentence. "Sofi will be here later, and I've already been granted the weekend off from work so I can spend some time with her while she's here. She can help us set up the furniture and decorate."

"Yaas!!" Ally hoots. "Then after I finish this coffee," she begins, raising her mug for emphasis, "I'm ready when you are."

Camila jumps off the bed heading toward the kitchen, Ally close in toe. "Coffee!!!"

I can still want to be around her, even if nothing is going to happen, right? I think, following them to the kitchen to prepare my own coffee and desperately trying to stall them before I have to go to work stag for the weekend.

"Al, how have things been... you know, with Troy?" I tentatively ask.

"Honestly, I haven't spoken to him since,"

"Wow, I musta scared the shit out of him," I say, flexing a muscle - eliciting a musical giggle from the brown-eyed girl across the table. I can still love the sound of that laugh, too... right?

"Well... I should have been more specific, I guess - he has called me numerous times and left numerous voicemails," she says and my muscle seemingly deflates so I drop my arm, letting it dangle at my side. "So, no I don't think you did much damage, there." I pout, looking to Camila. She makes soft eye contact before clearing her throat and hopping off the stool.