Chapter 2

Lauren's POV

I hear buzzing as I reach across the bed, trying not to wake the sleeping body next to m- wait why the fuck is there a sleeping body next to me? I slap my hand to my forehead and grab the cellphone that is still polluting the sweet silence from my nightstand. It's 4 o'clock in the morning and I'm getting a call from the Chief. I listen closely to the noise outside and don't hear a sound. Not even the goddamn birds are up yet.

"Chief," I cough sitting up.

"Jauregui, I need you down here pronto. 22 Willow in Newburgh. Woman in her mid-twenties, single gun-shot to the head. The makeup on her face...this one has your name written all over it."

An abrupt sound slices through the quiet from behind me and I realize that the woman to my right is snoring loudly. I push her gently to get her to stop. The Chief must have heard her through the phone.

"Are you serious, Jauregui? Couldn't let it go one day. Which intern am I going to need to replace now?... You know what, nevermind. I don't want to know. Just get your ass down here as soon as you can and bring Cabello with you."

The phone clicks off.

A warm body snuggles up next to me wrapping an arm around my hips. I pull her arm off of me and return it to her own side; cuddling is not part of the deal. Pushing down the covers and letting out a sigh I relive what I remember from last night - I knew I shouldn't have brought her home, but it was in my nature to let my hormones get the best of me and land me in extremely compromising situations but hey, a girl has needs, and so here we are.

I turn to look at the woman, now lightly snoring, to my right. My head was pounding in my ears - I shouldn't have taken those shots last night.

"Vanessa?" I mumble in a whisper. She doesn't stir. "Vanessa?" I lightly nudge her.

I could see the movement of her eyes inside of their sockets and watch her hand raise to her head to brush her dark hair out of the way.

"Valerie."

"Right, sorry. I just needed to tell you that I just got a call and need to head to the scene. And..."

"I get it. I'm gone." She sighs dejectedly, rolling onto her back with her arm draped over her face exposing her bare chest. Funny how uncomfortable it is seeing her like this now, when just a few hours ago I was devouring every inch of her body, I think to myself as I avert my gaze and clear my throat letting her know I'm on a schedule.

She took a minute to get out of bed and put her bra on, clasping it against her bony back. Her uniform was laying on the floor near the door. She pulls the sleeves of the jacket over her arms, picking up her black pants and fastening them around her waist.

"Officer... Redding," I read the name on her jacket. "I'll see you around some time."

The woman let out a low, mumbled "yeah, sure," but we both knew I was never going to acknowledge this night we shared again. I never asked them to get feelings, I mean it was only one night but they always managed to look hurt as though they were sure it would be different with them.

It's what I was known for - inviting women to my place and then tossing them out the same night. It wasn't broadcasted but it definitely was no secret that I don't do relationships. It isn't something I am exactly proud of, but it's not changing so these girls need to either say no to me or deal with it. Last night, I had been too drunk to even get Officer Redding out of my apartment. I wouldn't be making the same mistake twice.

I hear my front door close, rather forcefully and pick up my phone from where I haphazardly tossed it after hanging up with the Chief and dial Camila's number.