Chapter 8

Lauren's POV

I got more hours of sleep last night than I usually get on any given night, but I feel like my head never even hit the pillow. I take about twice as long to get ready because my mind is swimming with vivid memories of my dream. It felt so real. Alexa looked just how she did the day I asked her to marry me. The day she turned me down. What the fuck was Camila doing in my dream? Why was I so relieved to hear Alexa telling me it was okay to let go? That request should have hurt me, coming from her.

My head is spinning as I try to decipher what that dream meant. You're overthinking it, Jauregui. Dreams hold zero validity in real life, I think to myself as I move slowly around my kitchen. I knock over my coffee when reaching for the sugar, ruining my white button down. I hastily rip off my shirt, trying to keep my stomach from being burned by the soaked fabric, leaving the stained shirt on the floor of my kitchen as I make my way to get a new one.

The car ride takes longer than usual; I can't shake this dream. The image of Camila standing along the outskirts of the beach biting her lip and looking down bashfully is really fucking with my head. She's attractive, sure. But she's my partner... not to mention the fact that I don't do feelings. I decide to leave the memory of the dream behind as I turn the music on my stereo up, now blasting Lana Del Rey, singing the melodic tune of American. By the time I arrive at the station I am in much better spirits, ready to take the day on head first.

As I approach my desk the day continues to get better - the one and only Dinah Jane is perched there sipping a coffee, with an extra in her hand.

"Hey, Lauser!" she says with a curious smirk on her face, handing me a coffee.

"You literally just saved my life, D. I spilled my coffee all over myself this morning and was dreading drinking some of the dirt they call coffee from the station's kitchen." I haven't seen Dinah since the night of the botched dinner, and god this girl can brighten a mood.

"Well, LoLo, I am a psycho, didn't you know?" I look at her confused.

"You definitely meant to say 'psychic', Dinah... but I do agree that you are a little psychotic as well," I say, earning a quick punch to my shoulder. "Fuck, Di... you have no idea how strong you are - that fucking hurt!"

"Good, you little asshole," she starts, "so do you have any idea when that little Cuban piece of ass is going to be in? I've got a bone to pick with her," she says.

"And here I thought my Cuban ass would be enough for my best friend's unexpected visit... how ridiculous of me. She should be here any minute now," I answer. Like clockwork, Camila walks through the door, and the memories of last night's dream infiltrate my mind once again.

"Ayo, there's my Chanco!" Dinah says turning toward the door. Chancho? When the fuck did they start with the pet names?

"Good morning... CheeChee?" she replies hesitantly. Oh I guess I didn't miss something that was Dinah being, well... Dinah. "Good morning, Lauren," she says breaking me out of my thoughts. I look up and we make eye contact which sends shivers down my spine after the intimate moment I dreamt of last night. I wonder what would have happened had my alarm not gone off. I shake my head violently to stop myself from heading down that path.

"Uh... Lauser?" Dinah questions.

"Yeah, sorry. Totally zoned out for a second," I say, feeling the familiar heat reaching my cheeks. "G-Good morning, Detecti-Camila. Good morning Camila." Both Dinah and Camila look at one another before looking back at me, pure confusion written all over their faces. "I need to go grab some sugar for my coffee," I say, standing up and quickly rushing out of the situation.