Chapter 14

Lauren's POV

After we pack up our things, we head to the station for a full day interrogation of Mary Burke. By the parking lot, there are news vans lined up and around the block. There's another side entrance and I decide last minute to avoid the confrontations and go that way instead. As we make our way to the door, Camila grabs my hand and interlocks our fingers - a gesture that she wouldn't have done a day ago.

"You smell really good," she says, lightly squeezing my hand.

"Well thank you, detective."

"I think we know each other on a first name basis, now, don't we?"

"I mean after last night..."

She nudges me in the side and I quickly hide the smirk that is making its presence on my face. "Camz! Ouch."

"There we go. Much better."

Although I wish I could walk in here hand in hand with this beautiful girl, I need to avoid the glances and whispers that I know will come my way. My sexual endeavors haven't exactly flown under the radar here, and I would rather not deal with the rumors that will come with a gesture as simple as holding her hand. I let go of Camila's hand as we reach the door.

When we step into the station, the Chief is waiting for us by my desk.
"Mary Burke is in the interrogation room waiting for you."

"Chief I-" I grab the papers and the magazine article from my bag and extend them to him with my hand.

"Now's not the time, Jauregui. We need to close this case today. I don't have time for any antics."

"But Chief," I plead. "You'll want to see this."

"We have a woman in there who is a solid suspect in this murder case. Now, if anything you have to show me contradicts or complicates that for us, I really don't give a shit what it is."

Both Camila and I look down at the ground when we realize that no one will care if we have new evidence to present unless it is unquestionably putting Mary behind bars. It's nearly useless that we can match the murders to celebrities who have died in the past few years because trying to fit that into the puzzle will prolong Mary's trial. Maybe we have a killer who was fascinated with the movies. Maybe Mary was a movie buff. I make sure to note these things in my notebook before we enter the room.

--

The door is slightly ajar and we enter to see Dinah policing the doorway and a distraught Mary in shackles, resting her hands on the table. Tom, her brother, sits beside her in a chair. He is wearing a pressed suit, black newly-shined shoes and expensive cuff links. What a prick.

"As you know, I will be representing my sister today," Tom nods in Mary's direction.

"Yes, we know," Camila groans, opening her notebook. She grabs a pen and writes a few words on the paper.

"So, Mary Burke. As you know, you are here because you are being accused of a series of murders which have taken place from two years ago in Miami, until just a few weeks ago in Orange County, NY. Is there anything you would like to say for yourself before we begin?"

The entire room goes quiet and I can hear Mary's breathing quicken. "Yes," she begins. I knew she was going to fight it. "I woul-" her voice comes out as nothing more than a whisper, so she clears her throat and finishes loudly, "I would like to confess."

"You what?!" Tom looks over at Mary with a questioning glance. By his mannerisms alone, I can tell that he was a very protective brother.

"I would like to confess to the murders." Holy shit.