He wondered what kind of day she was having; if the news of his and Gisette's marriage had even upset her.

In his mind he composed a letter to her, then finally satisfied with what he wanted to tell her, he looked through the drawers for the stationary. He wrote the letter at the desk, wiping away tears as he did. Then he sealed it and set it aside to mail.

He heard a soft knock on his door, and crossing over, he looked through the peep hole, seeing Gisette standing in the hall. He leaned back on the wall. He didn't want to face her right now.

"Yeah, Gisette, what's up?" He called through the door.

"I need to see you, Sam." Gisette sounded troubled.

"Give me a few minutes, I'll come down to your room." Sam went back and sat in the chair again, not waiting for a reply. He picked up his guitar and started strumming it, playing the song he had written for Sarah, the lyrics running through his head. His hands stilled on the guitar strings as he looked down at the blue heart tattooed on his wrist. With a sigh, he laid his guitar down and stood up, heading for Gisette's room.

Gisette handed Sam her room key as he walked through the door.

"What's this for?" He asked.

"So you can come and go into this room." She said. "We're going to be here one more night, so it would be helpful if you had a key to your room."

"I see." Sam looked at the key. "So does this mean I'm moving my things into here?"

"It makes sense, doesn't it? I cancelled your room for tonight. And from now on, we'll be sharing a room." She paused as she looked at him, uncertainly. "Right?"

Sam narrowed his eyes. "Yeah, right." He took the key, pocketing it and turned towards the door to leave, saying over his shoulder. "I'll bring my stuff over in a little bit."

***

Sarah rolled over and checked the time. She had been asleep for 4 hours, not nearly enough time to make her forget what had happened.

Sam had married Gisette. How could he have done that? Sarah thought about all the times Sam had proposed to her and she had told him no. Evidently it only took one proposal to Gisette, and the deed was done. But then, it must also mean that Gisette was pregnant.

So Sam was going to be a daddy. She thought about him and Gisette with a baby, a link that would tie them together forever. The thought stabbed through her like a knife.

She sat up straighter to try to ease the pain. Her mind shut out the images of the happy family. There was nothing she could do about it. This really was her sign to move on and forget him.

Well, at least move on. She would never forget him, he was the only man she had ever loved so fully. The pain that she felt coursing through her body was a constant reminder of that.

Sarah could hear Pete moving around the apartment, packing up the last few items to move. She got out of bed and went out in the hall.

Pete had emptied the hall closet and was taping up the box when he looked up and saw her.

"How are you doing, baby?" Sarah could see the worry in his face.

"I'm going to be okay. It's my birthday and tonight I want to have a blowout party. The saying goes, 'Today is the first day of my life', so that's what I will keep remembering." Sarah said, trying to convince herself of it.

Pete stood up and pulled her into his arms. "That's right, and we'll have a party for you tonight. One like we have never had before, how's that?"