Part 21 - Weaknesses

Dan’s POV

I woke up by feeling something shaking me. I could hear sounds, but it was too distant to analyze what it was. But it came closer and closer. I tried to open my eyes, but it was impossible. I was too tired.

"Dan! Dan, can you hear me? Dan! How many of these have you been taken? Dan! Sweet, sweet Dan.. Wake up!" I could hear.

But no. I didn't want to wake up. I wanted to sleep forever. But then I felt something dragging my body. Someone was holding me up. I could feel the cold floor at my feet. I opened my eyes as much as I could, and saw the toilet in front of me, and I leant up against it. My body had never felt so heavy as it did now. Suddenly I could feel two fingers searching down my throat, and out came a bunch of vomit, and when I finally thought I was done, more came. Then I was pulled away from the toilet and was sat up against the wall. Everything I could see was blurry.

"Dan! Dan, please! Dan..."

And then everything turned black again.

I woke up in my living room, lying on the couch. My head hurt like hell, and I couldn't remember much. But then I remembered where I was supposed to be. Not here. Why wasn't I dead? I heard a chair say a noise behind me and quickly turned around. And there they were. The bluest eyes staring directly at me.

"Phil..." was the only thing I could say.

We stayed like that, staring at each other, for a while until I couldn't bear doing it anymore, because my body was so weak, and my head hurt so damn much. I tried to think things through. I came home, my parents left, I found the bottle and the pills, wrote the letter.... Oh shit! The letter! Phil wasn't supposed to read it while I was alive. Maybe he hasn’t read it yet. I don't know. But he must've saved me.

"Dan?" Phil suddenly said almost soundless.

He sat down next to me.

“Phil, I…” I said, but he interrupted me by hushing me.

“Don’t.” he said.

Then he stood up and left. I closed my eyes again. Then he pulled off the blanket that was covering me, but before I could protest, he threw my duvet over me. I didn’t want Phil to be here. Actually I hadn’t wished for him to not be here more than now. I wanted to sleep again. Sleep forever. He didn’t even want to talk to me. Who could blame him?

“Phil, can you please leave?” I said.

“You’re asking me to leave? You’re fucking telling me to leave?! After I went to your house, to find you half dead, dragged you out to the bathroom, to make you throw a whole bunch of pills and a fucking liter of alcohol! You were dying, Dan! You were fucking dying in there, and now you’re asking me to leave?! Dan, for fuck sake…”

The last sentence came out as sobbing. I got a lump in my throat, and tears in my eyes.

“I’m sorry you had to see that.” I said.

“I’m not.” he said.

My head still hurt like hell, so I got up and walked into the kitchen and found two pills against headache. Then I filled a glass of water up. I was just about to swallow them, when Phil appeared in the door and smacked the glass out of my hand. The glass broke against the floor, and I could feel the cold water under my feet. I grabbed him by his shoulders.

“What the hell are you doing?!” I asked.

“What the hell I’m doing? Dan, you ate fucking 20 of these, you’re going to get poisoned! You idiot.” he said and started picking up the broken glass.

I didn’t really think about that.

“My head hurt… I was just…”

It was actually kind of funny.

“I’m not surprised, but there are other methods against that. Go back again, I’ll be there in a minute.” he said and left.

I went back to the sofa and lay down. Moments later he came back with a cup of tea and sat down next to me again. I took a sip of it and lay back again.

“Do you have a fever?” he asked me.

“I don’t know.” I said.

“Here, let me feel.” he said and laid a hand over my forehead.

I closed my eyes and enjoyed Phil’s cold hand against my skin. Then he removed it again, and then I saw the terrifying sight.

“Well, I don’t think you have a fever.” he said.

I almost flew up and grabbed his wrist. He looked at my terrified.

“Dan? Dan, stop! It’s none of your business!” he said and tried to pull back.

“None of by business? I can’t see who else's business it should be. It is because of me, right?” I said harsh.

“You know what? Fuck you Dan. I don’t need this shit from you. And now that my job here is done, I will leave Wonderboy by himself again. See ya.” Phil said and stood up and headed for the door.

I went after him and grabbed his arm.

“What the hell are you doing?” I said.

“Dan, you have 3 seconds to let go…” Phil said and looked directly at me.

“Or what? You’re going to punch me again, and then run away? You can’t just keep running from your problems, Phil.” I said and looked him directly in the eyes.

“You don’t know what you’re talking about.” he said.

“I saw you’re secret, didn’t I, Phil? I saw your weakness. Go ahead; I know you don’t care anymore.” I let go of him. “We all have weaknesses. My weakness was you.” I said.

I turned around and got back on the couch again. Moments later I heard the door slam.