Part 14 - Bus drive to North Walsham

Phils POV

"Good morning class!" mrs. Wilson said, walking into the classroom.

I sighed and drove a hand through my hair. What I wanted most right now was to go home and sleep. Like forever.

"So I hope you're all packed and prepared for the camp stay tomorrow." mrs. Wilson said.

Oh I wasn't prepared. I wasn't prepared at all. Carrie was laying sick at home, and wasn't planning on coming back to school any day soon. I had no one to hang with if I went. So I was planning to act sick tomorrow morning. I don't know how I would survive a whole weekend being so close to Dan at night, without getting to hold him in my arms all night long. Jeffrey who was sitting in front of me poked Dan, who was sitting in front on Jeffrey, and whispered something to Dan. They started laughing and Jeffrey quickly turned to his left side where Mike was sitting and whispering the same thing, I assume, because Mike laughed just as hysterically.

When Dan was about to turn around again I caught his eyes. I held my breath and just stared. I wished nothing would stop this moment. Those deep, brown eyes. Those eyes I used to lie inches away from, which were so far away now. My heart pounded like crazy, but I still wasn't breathing.

"Dan!" mrs. Wilson suddenly yelled.

Dan quickly turned around.

I breathed in as soundless as I could.

"Wha- what?" Dan said confused.

"Do you mind stop talking to Phil and start paying attention, this is important."

"No, I- I was...just..."

"You and Phil can talk after school, now start listening!" she said strict.

The other students stared at us. I just looked down at my desk.

The next morning...

I woke up at 7:06 am after another almost sleepless night. I got out of bed and put on some clothes. I didn't really care at all about what I was wearing or how I looked. Who was I gonna try to impress? Exactly. No one. I walked down the stairs to find my mum and brother having breakfast.

"Wow, you look like shit!" my little brother said.

Sometimes I was unsure if he actually was my brother. I almost never swore, and he did it almost all the time. And he's 12.

"Kyle! I don't want to hear that language!" my mum snapped.

"But he does?" Kyle said.

"To be honest, I'm not feeling very well." I lied.

"Well you do look a bit pale." she said.

She stood up and put a hand on my forehead.

"Well, you don't have a fever." I sighed and sat down.

"How do you feel bad honey?" my mum asked.

"Nauseous." I lied again.

"Oh sweetie, that's probably because you're excited on going on the camp stay with your class."

"Yeah, I was. But I really don't think it's a good idea for me to go." I tried again.

"Oh of course! You always feel nauseous when you travelling! Remember the time where we were going to Italy and you threw up at the airport, only because of the thought of boarding a flight. Oh, you're just worried about the long bus drive to North Walsham, that's all." my mum said and took a sip of her coffee, before continuing.

"But don't you worry honey, I'll just feed you some pills and then you are off to North Walsham."

My god, my mum could talk forever.

"But mum..." I said, trying to sound sad and poorly at the same time.

"No buts, I've already packed all your stuff. You're going." she said.

I sighed.

"I give up."

"Don't worry hun, camp stays are fun! That's where I met your father. Can you believe it? Even though we'd been in the same class for 3 years, we first realized our love at camp stay!  Maybe you'll find the love of your life too!" my mum said full of excitement.

Kyle was almost choking on his juice, and I was even more depressed now than I was when I woke up. I thought I found the love of my life, but that thing was over now. And my mum bringing love to our discussion just made me think about the wonderful thing Dan and I had, that we'll never get back.

"Where's the bag you've packed?" I asked sounding slightly miserable.

"Behind you honey." my mum answered.

I put on my shoes, jacket and grabbed the bag.

"See you on Sunday." I said with no excitement.

"But you haven't even had breakfast, Phil?" my mum said.

"See you on Sunday." I said.

And off to school I was. With a bad feeling in my stomach.

"All right class, put your bags over there to the right, so the bus driver can pack it all into the bus. Go in and find your seats afterwards. And remember, garbage goes in the bags next to the seats!" mrs. Wilson said.

I took the first seat in the front row, 'cause nobody wanted to sit in the front, and I just wanted to sit by myself. Dan, Jeffrey, Mike, Lily and Jennifer sat down in the back, which I appreciated, even though it stung in the heart to see that Dan felt fine. He just... always had that smirk on his face. Like nothing had happened. It really made me angry, confused and sad that he was having fun and seemed to have the time of his life with The Gang, while I was dying inside.

After about 10 minutes, the bus started driving. I took out a book from my bag and started reading, mostly to try and block all the laughter and talking out. It drove me crazy to see everyone so happy. It worked for a while, but then I realized how insanely tired I was. I haven't slept properly in 3 weeks now. I put the book back in my bag and leant my head up against the window.

I must’ve fallen asleep pretty quickly. And I must’ve dreamt about Dan again. But it felt like the dream was coming to life, ‘cause out of the corner of my eye, I could’ve sworn I could see Dan sitting next to me. I turned my head to see that it wasn’t a dream. Dan was actually sitting next to me. Dan turned his head up from his iphone and was now looking directly at me. It had been 3 weeks since I had been so close to Dan. I could actually feel his body heat. We were just staring at each other for what seemed like forever. Everytime I stared at Dan and he stared back it was like time stood still, and all my bad emotions disappeared. Dan broke it by looking down at his iphone again.

“Mrs. Wilson placed me here.” he said.

Well, there you go. He only came because he was forced to it. I looked away from Dan and out the window again.

“Just 6 hours to go.”