"Might be out of our price range." Pete muttered.

"Doesn't hurt to look." Dave said.

The rental agent from the apartment complex unlocked the door to the model, sweeping it open for Sarah and Pete to enter.

"As you can see." She motioned to the left, "This is the kitchen and dining area. It's open to the living room. The appliances are included. Everything is electric, that's included in rent. We have the laundry room on the bottom floor, I'll show you that later."

Sarah and Pete followed her from the small foyer, straight into the living room.

"This is the living room, not all of them come with a balcony, and down this hall," the agent walked into a small hallway, off the side wall of the living room, pointing to the doorway on the right. "This is the main bedroom."

Sarah and Pete walked in to the room and turned in a circle, looking around.

"This room is 12 foot by 12 foot. You can see there's the closet with double doors."

Sarah went to look in the closet. "This is a nice bedroom." She said, non-commitedly.

"Yes, see it has the same neutral carpet." They both down looked at the tan carpeting, then followed her back into the hall, stopping at the next door and looking in.

"Here's the bathroom. It has the shower/bath combo and vanity. And don't forget, water is included, also."

The agent led them into the last room. "This is the second bedroom. It also has the double door closet."

Pete and Sarah looked at each other, and nodded.

Pete cleared his throat. "Is there one of these available?"

"Yes, you're lucky. One will be available the first of July. We're working on it now, getting the carpets cleaned and the walls painted. You would sign a one year lease. If you want, we'll go back to the office and get the paperwork done."

One hour later, they walked out with the signed papers in hand.

"We'll pick up the key on your birthday. How's that for a birthday present?" Pete teased.

"I can't believe we're doing this. Will we be able to afford $200 a month for rent?" Sarah was in disbelief at how her day was going.

It started out so terrible, but Pete had kept her mind off of it. She was worried now, how they could come up with that much money a month.

"Yeah, I think so. I can always pick up a part time job if we need to." Pete said. "Let's go see Dave and tell him about our new place."

On the drive to the campground, Sarah leaned her head towards her opened window and felt the warm lake breeze on her face.

She wondered where she'd be in a year from now, would she still be feeling the pain?

***

Sam landed in Reno around 6:30 that evening and caught a cab to the hotel. He stared out the window at the bright neon and flashing lights that outlined and decorated the buildings on both sides of the street.

"Welcome to Reno. Is this your first time?" The driver chuckled as he saw the wonder on Sam's face.

"Yeah, it is. This place is something else!" He looked out the side window as he saw the flashing lights on the supports of the neon lit arch that crossed over the street.

"The biggest little city in the world." He read.

"Are you here to win some big bucks?" The driver asked.