Chapter 13 (Homecoming)

Luca's Point of View

Behind me was a glimpse of the city where I have lived for years. To me it was nothing more than a glorified prison meant to keep us contained and controlled. I saw Jacob's excitement just from being able to see just the top of the skyscrapers. When he looked at me I just turned away so that I wouldn't destroy his hopes. We continued on for a little while and Jacob caught up to me and asked a question whose answer was pretty obvious "are we going to be staying there?" I didn't even try and share his excitement when I told him yes.

We eventually reached the shore and I made the ice reach the sand so that no one will get wet. I turned around to make sure everyone got off safely and out of the corner of my eye I saw Jacob do the same. They got off slowly until there were only three left. The kid that I saved from the crash passed me and gave me a nasty glare before moving on.

Mary then came up to the edge and slipped getting off. I reached out and caught her just in time so that she didn't hit her head. "Thanks" she said and gave me a flirty smile, yeah I knew it was to flirt but I don't want to get close to anyone. I simply nodded and turned my sight on Jacob to give him a smile. I was met by him already smiling like an idiot at me, weird why is he smiling at me? Why did I smile at him?

I turned away from him before I made a fool of myself and touched my earpiece. "Call Councilman Mathew" I said to the device. In less than a minute a small projection of the Senator popped up in my face and a hollow-projected headset appeared on my head. "Mr. Luca it's a surprise to hear from you again so soon. Why are you back on the island?" asked the Councilman. "I was caught and had to escort the new group of kids to the island because the storm crashed the plane on our way here" I said. "Hmm, that is disturbing but I am glad you all are alright. Please escort them to the city and we will meet you on the edge." he said looking upset. "Yes sir, as you wish" I replied and turned off the communicator.

When I turned around I looked for Jacob among the group but what I saw made my stomach churn and my heart hurt. There was Jacob with a girl and they were holding hands. Jacob saw me looking and when I met his eyes I couldn't hold my anger in and I'm sure he saw it in my eyes. I raised my voice so that everyone could hear when a said "Alright I just called my superiors and they said to go ahead and proceed to the city so follow me" but I couldn't remove the anger from my words as I said them.

Why was I so mad that Jacob was holding that girls hand? I mean I thought we were friends but here he is holding some girl's, a girl he just met, hand! I guess that's how easily I can be replaced! I thought that I had finally found a friend but I guess that's never going to happen. I don't need him, I've survived for years without anybody! With this thought I decided to try and avoid him from now on.

I was so caught up in my thoughts that I didn't even notice when Mary came up beside me. "You like him don't you?" she asked and it took me a minute to register that she was talking to me. "What are you talking about?" I really didn't know what she was talking about. "Don't play dumb with me I saw how you were looking at that Jacob guy even though I was flirting with you" she said with a sly smile on her face. "I do not like him or anyone for that matter" I said trying to hold back my anger. "Besides he doesn't want to be friends with me, just like everyone else" I added to myself.

"Uh huh....friends....sure, that's all you want" she said rolling her eyes. "That's all I've ever wanted from anyone!" I yelled at her. She put her hands up in surrender and said "ok ok just making an observation! Why do you think he doesn't want to be friends, he looks at you the same way you look at him?" she said raising an eyebrow. "Because I can be easily replaced by anyone, especially a beautiful girl" I sighed out in a defeated voice.

Mary turned to look at the two and returned to me saying "it looks like she likes him more than he likes her" she said trying to give me hope. "Whatever" I said and increased my pace to get away from her. I knew better than to get my hopes up when it comes to people, I've been hurt too much for me to make a new bond.