Sam felt relieved, the pain in his heart diminished. He was afraid she would say yes, and he didn't know how he would handle it.

"I know it hasn't been easy this past week. Probably not what you expected." Sam spoke slowly, choosing his words. "I haven't paid a lot of attention to you lately, being so wrapped up in everything that's going on. Trish pointed out all the things I've been doing wrong."

He gave a small sigh. "I'm sorry for all of it."

Sarah sat still, staring at the stars as he spoke. Everything he was saying was true, but that didn't make her want to leave him.

"Sam, I'm with you, no matter what. We will work through this, I know."

"I took a walk tonight and did a lot of thinking about us. I know this is as new to you as it is to me. But I think you are suffering the worst. I hate to see that, I want you to be happy, I want us to be happy." His voice was anguished.

"Are you happy?" Sarah asked, softly.

"I'm happy when I'm with you, and when I'm onstage, singing." Sam said, reflectively. "That's all I want to do, Sarah. I hate all this bullshit that Gisette is throwing at me."

"Isn't she doing it to the whole band, not just you, but everyone?"

"Not as much, she seems to be targeting me. I'm not putting enough effort into being a group. I shouldn't be spending so much time with you. There is always some little thing that pisses her off."

He pleaded with her. "Just please, stick it out, don't leave. I'll work it out with her."

Sarah shook her head, "I won't leave. But I hate to see you like this."

"It will get better, I promise. She can't go on like this forever."

The joint had burned down, and Sam lit two cigarettes, passing one to Sarah. He held her close against him, his voice was muffled against her hair.

"I need to ask you something....... If I took you home for a visit on these days off, would you still come back out on tour with me, when it's time to leave?"

Sarah heard the worried note in his question. She turned to face him and answered immediately, with no hesitation in her answer.

"Absolutely! Really, Sam? You will take me home? I can see everyone?"

Sam chuckled with relief. "Yes, if that's what you want. I was going to go somewhere else, where we can be alone. But if you want to go back for a visit, then we will."

He put his finger under her chin, lifting her face to look in her eyes. "A visit, Sarah. Right?"

Her eyes sparkled as she nodded her head. "A visit. Then we will join up with everyone else, I promise."

They shaded their eyes against the spotlight that suddenly shined brightly on them.

"Ok, kids, the beach is closed. Time to move on." The police officer behind the flashlight walked towards them.

Sam stood up, holding out a hand for Sarah. He brushed the sand off them, apologizing to the officer.

"I'm sorry, sir, we were just talking. We'll go now."

The policeman looked closely at Sam's face. "Aren't you in that band, Blood Brothers?"

Sam nodded, silently. He didn't know if that would be a good thing or not.

"Yeah, I took my daughter and her friend to see you tonight." The officer laughed. "They're 15, it was their first concert. She has your album. Christ, that's all I hear around the house."