"Sarah! I was just thinking about you." Her mother dried her hands and reached for the red pack of Pall Malls on the counter. "How is your weekend going?"

Sarah watched as her mother lit a cigarette. She had a sneaking suspicion that what her mom was really asking was how she and Pete were getting along. "Good, I'm just headed out to go to the movies."

Sarah's moms eyes lit up, as Sarah knew they would. "That's nice, will you be home tonight?"

"Nope." Sarah shook her head, "I'll be staying at the campground again." She paused, then went on, "We're going to the Agora in Cleveland tomorrow night. We'll probably be staying the night there. I'll be back Monday in time for work at noon."

Her mother listened to this, studying her daughter through the cigarette smoke. "Is Midgie going too?" She asked casually.

Sarah nodded, "Yeah, she's going with us." She avoided her mothers eyes, opening the refrigerator, and taking out a can of Pepsi.

She concentrated on the Bicentennial decoration as she pulled the pop top off and reached to throw it in the garbage can.

"So, is this a date with Pete tonight?"

Sarah rolled her eyes towards her mother. "If you want to call it that, you can."

She headed out the back door. "Catch ya later, mom!"

Sarah's mom crossed over to the yellow phone hanging in the niche in the wall. Picking up the receiver, she dialed a number.

"Guess what, Delly? Our kids are going on a date!", she gushed.

"I know! Pete just told me, Janie! Of course, he wouldn't exactly admit that it was a date." Pete's mom was just as excited.

"Oh course not! Sarah was the same way." The two of them agreed to meet on Janie's front porch as soon as their kids left.

Twenty minutes later, they were settled into the porch swing, ashtrays and cigarettes on the side tables and a beer bottle in their hands.

It was a tradition that had carried on since they were young. The two old friends had their best talks on the front porch swing.

Sarah and Pete found seats in the darkened movie theater and were watching the coming attractions.

 Pete leaned over and whispered in Sarah's ear, "Are you all ready to see Kris on the big screen? Is he going to get you all hot?"

She started giggling. "You are such a dickhead. You're just jealous that he's hotter than you!"

The opening music started and they both were transfixed, watching the movie. When the love scene started, Sarah's eyes were glued to the screen.

Pete heard her sniffing as the end credits rolled over the screen. "It's just a movie, baby."

"I know, but did they have to cut him up like that? Those boys were fucked up!" Sarah whispered.

"C'mon," He helped her up, "Let's go grab a pizza and take it back to the tent."

As they waited for their pizza, they discussed the movie. "The love on Kris's face when he looked at her..." Sarah shivered. "It was so deep."

Pete nodded absently, "Yeah, he's a good actor."

"It looked so real. I bet he looks at Rita Coolidge that same way. I would love it if a guy looked at me like that." Sarah said dreamily.

"Hey, I do. Every time I look at you." Pete joked and crossed his hands over his heart.