chapter 20

Chapter 20 -
Sakura and Lee arrived at the gates to find Genma, Kurenai, Asuma and Gai all waiting patiently.

"I assume you have all read through the scroll I gave you and understand the mission?" Sakura asked.

They each nodded.

Sakura turned to Lee. "Gai will fill you in on the way."

"Hai Sakura-san."

"Ok, now, we will be travelling in our usual formation. I'll be in front to show the way. Are we all good?" Sakura smiled at them.

"Hai" The group chorused.

Sakura was just about to lead off when she noticed that something was missing.

"Hold up! Where is Itachi-kun?"

"I'm right here."

Sakura shivered as hot breath trailed down the back of her neck.

She spun around and buiried her blush.

"You're late." She said sternly.

"And you're beautiful." He replied innocently.

"And you are off the hook." She said mindlessly in response.

The troop concealled their faces with masks, and were already wearing hooded cloaks.

Sakura's mask was plain white with delicate sakura petals outlining a loveheart just above the left cheek.

The group set out, over branch and branch, heading in the direction of Orochimaru's lair.

They were making great head way and decided to stop for the night.

Camp was quickly set up, consisting of a small cental campfire and 4 tents.

One for Gai and Lee, who on countless missions as a genin squad, had shared a tent.

One for Kurenai and Asuma... One can only wonder why.

One for Genma, I'd not have been surprised had he brought some girl to share his tent with...

And one for Itachi and Sakura, who usually slept in the same bed anyway.

Sitting around the campfire, eating dinner, they discussed the plan of action.

"We're splitting into two groups. My group will be with Gai, Lee and Asuma. We will strike at the main hide-out where we expect Orochimaru and Kabuto to be. Genma will be the captain for squad 2, with Itachi and Kurenai. You guys are going to capture the north hide-out. Then we'll meet up near the Southern base and do the rest together. All good?" Sakura explained, drawing a precise diagram in the dirt.

The group nodded and disepated to their tents.

Sakura would take the entire night watch, as her Inner could do it while she slept.

Meanwhile...

Naruto, Sasuke and Kakashi were on their way home, after a long and tedious 6 and a half month mission.

"Are we there yet?" Naruto whined for the near 50th time.

"Yes, it's just up ahead." Kakashi replied, as tranquilly as the first time he'd said it.

The morning came swiftly and so left the ANBU, continuing on their set courses.

Sakura's group reached Orochimaru's lair and were preparing to ambush it.

And Genma's squad were in a similar position at the northern base.

Sakura tuned her radio set and gave the order.

And simeltaneously, both Orochimaru and his subordinate, Kabuto, and the entire norther hide-out were over-run.

Entirely by two ANBU squads under the direct instruction of Sakura Haruno.

Having completed the mission, the group made their way to their camp from where they would return home at dorn.

Sakura had to heal both, Lee and Kurenai before the troop ate and went to sleep.

Once again, Sakura kept watch.

"Oh my, Saku-chan is dreaming again..." Inner said lowely, shaking her long pink hair.

-Sakura's Dream-

"But, you said-" Sakura was sobbing.

"I said I loved you Sakura-chan?" He smirked. "You were so easily fooled."

"But why!?"

"Akatsuki needed the Kyuubi and getting close to you was all part of the plan. All to easy. Thanks to you, we'll be able to drain the jinchuriki."

"No, I didn't mean for this. I thought you wanted to train me."

"Why would I. You as weak as they've always told you. Gullable and pathetic."

-End Sakura's Dream-

There was a bright flash as Sakura roused, breathing heavily and shaking frightfully.

"It's not true. No. It's not like that at all." Sakura rocked.

'Sakura, it's ok. I know for a fact that Itachi loves you. And you know it too. Stop Worrying.'

Sakura cried, muffling her sobbs with her cloak.

'Why do I keep having these dreams. I feel so unsure.'

"Sakura?" A low, smooth voice called from the nearest tent. "What's the matter Sakura-chan?"

"I-I.." Sakura could force the words from her mouth.

She just leapt from her crouch on the ground into his arms.

Warm and inviting, she delved her hands around his neck and kissed him.

Passionately, she cried into the kiss, deepened it even further.

Itachi was shocked.

He loved Sakura, but they had never so far as kissed before.

And she was crying, the kiss was needy and broken.

He responded, attempting in pulling her together.

She sunk into his lap and lay there, shuddering occasionally.

In the moment, he held her shivering in his arms and hushed her, stroking his fingers through her hair.

"It's ok. I love you Sakura.