~Chapter 17~

I was exhausted.

Every inch of me exploded with fatigue and I felt as if my legs were about to fall off any moment.

I've been running, jogging and walking for hours and by night fall I was already a great distance from the church and the Aerodites, but I had no clue where I was going.

I was miles away from the nearest town (I think) and I could see rain clouds hanging heavily in the sky.

Could my day get any better?

Hell, I'm actually starting to wish that Jeremy killed me. If he did, I would have only felt a slight second of pain and won't be enduring this crap.

What was I going to do?

Where was I going to go?

How the hell do you even start your life over from scratch for the second time in a row?

I pulled my fingers through my hair as I walked.

I really got the short end of life's stick.

The Humans want to kill me because I'm a creature of some sort while the Aerodites want to murder me because I'm a Raven and soon I'm sure they'll discover I'm the princess of Elysium and would also want me dead for that. And I'm sure as hell; the Raven would also want me dead for some bizarre reason too.

Yep, my life is blissful.

Giving into exhaustion, I stopped walking and decided to hitch-hike.

I stuck my thumb out as I stood at the edge of the road. Two sedan vehicles blew past me with no single intension of stopping and I sighed heavily.

Patience is a virtue, Blake.

A final car past and the road dried up.

I stood still at the edge of the road waiting for a miracle to happen but after twenty minutes I found myself sitting next to the road.

Tiny droplets of rain started to sprinkle across my body than heavy showers followed. I wrapped my arms around myself as I shivered from the cold and wetness but I didn't change my position.

I pulled my fingers through my hair again, then pulled my knees up and laid my head on them. I closed my eyes and allowed the rain to drum on my back. I inhaled hard, taking in the smell.

I needed to calm my mind before I could come up with the next step since hitch-hiking was going south.

As I tried to clear my mind, I heard the roar of an engine as it echoed through the rain and its headlights pierced the darkness. With excitement, I sprang up to my feet and started waving my arms.

My heart was pounding with joy.

The headlights started to slow down and I couldn't help but smile but when the car came closer, all the joy evaporated.

Oh. Hell. No.

The car came to a complete stop and a tall figure emerged from it. His green eyes cut through to me but I couldn't see what they were telling me.

We stared at each other in silence as the rain fell between us.

Déjà vu?

Who'll be the first one to break the silence?

"Stay away from me!" I yelled at Xherdan, as I stepped backwards.

Of course, the nutcase.