Chapter 29: You Know What?

Start from the beginning

I felt his grin twist. "I'm going to need more time to finish that conversation."

"How much?"

"At least a night." He pecked my lips and pulled back to look in my eyes. "Maybe you can spare me one tonight?"

"I think I can." I pressed my lips to his again for a second. "I'll tell my mom I'm spending the night."

About that time the doorbell rang and James stood off the couch. While he went to get the food, I pulled my phone out and sent my mom a message to let her know I'd be spending the night at James's. It's a Saturday night and I told her I'd be home in the morning and I added that she doesn't need to worry. That's all my mom does anymore.

James came back in the room with food and my stomach growled. When he laughed I knew he had heard it.

He brought the food to the kitchen table and spread the food out while I retrieved plates. We sat across from each other and piled our plates with food.

It felt cozy in his apartment. It's always felt cozy, but something about the Christmas tree made it feel even more like home. I'm so comfortable around James that I do feel like it's home here. James is home to me and I don't want to let that go. I just want to be enveloped by the feeling.

As I looked at James, I knew one thing. "You know what?"

"What?" He took a bite of his food and watched me.

I searched his face for a second until my eyes landed on his. "I love you."

At first he looked shocked. His blue eyes widened a bit and I wanted to die right there.

Why did I just blurt that? Was I an idiot?

Actually that's up for debate. I definitely felt like one. "I'm sorry—"

"Why are you apologizing?" He interrupted.

"It was stupid—"

"No," He said and scooted his chair closer to mine. "Then if that was stupid, then I want to do something stupid too. Because I love you."

My heartbeat sped up and my breathing hitched in my throat. "Is it really stupid?"

James laughed lightly and leaned in close to me. "Of course not." He caressed my face in his palms and kissed me slowly before pulling back an inch. "If you didn't say it, I was going to."

A laugh tumbled out. "Better late than never."

He pulled me back in for another kiss, but longer this time.

The casualty of it all was calming. I haven't said that since Reese left and I've never been so sure when I said it James. Of course I've said it to my mom and brothers, but this is completely different. I just look at James and I know it. I feel it in my chest. It's a feeling I'll never forget.

* * *

"No." I giggled.

"Here?" James asked as he pressed his fingertips against my wrist.

I snorted. "No, but that's a good one."

He lifted my wrist to his lips anyway and left a small, gentle kiss. "I told you I'll get it right eventually."

I sighed and closed my eyes. "We'll see about that."

James kept his word about finding my ultimate weak spot. It was quite comical, actually. If anything I've gotten more laughs out of it.