39 - Something Sweet, Something Sour?

Recap: Charlotte, Nathan, Charles, Amanda and Nathan's sister, Ella are on a road trip together when they pass by the Dawson's house. They stop by but the couple invite the bunch to join them for a day.

•••

"It was very nice of you," I smile, "I mean, without this nice day I'm pretty sure this trip would be quite plain," I explain. Mr and Mrs Dawson beam at us, as we're getting ready to leave with the luggage in our hands. We stayed for the afternoon, since we had already booked a hotel about two miles away. We had to get there so that we could check in and take rest.

"Thank you so much for letting us stay," Ella contributes to my thankfulness. She meets my happy face, and reciprocates my expressions. Mr and Mrs Dawson don't hesitate to chuckle a little. "You children are always welcome to come down here and enjoy your day. It's so nice to have you all," Mr Dawson says.

Charles nods his head. "I hope we haven't caused you any tro-"

"You are no trouble," Mr Dawson assures a worried Charles. He's trouble. You just don't know it. I think to myself.

We stand looking at each other in a moment of silence just sighing and smiling. Many of us are thinking of the good time we had in the couple of hours we spent together. Majority of our time, us, the ladies baked the cookies and had small chats until we joined the men who seemingly liked to debate on the smallest things.

A while after, however, we played card games which gave everyone a good chance to relax and just have fun.

I move in to hug Mrs Dawson, "Thank you for letting us stay and we'll miss you!" I express. Mrs Dawson falls into my embrace and holds me with her for an extra couple of seconds. "It's no problem dear, just be sure to visit soon. Us, old folks, don't live long." She jokes, yet has a hint of emotion in her tone. I give her a thoughtful nod, "We won't forget," I respond.

As soon as I'm done hugging her, I move onto Mr Dawson, who tells me moreover the same thing as Mrs Dawson. I couldn't help but laugh at the sweet gestures of the couple. It's sufficing to say, it's been a good day so far.

"So we'll see you later!" Nathan finally says after he finishes hearing what Mr Dawson has to offer to tell him and we open the door. Leaving it slightly ajar, Amanda doesn't fail to admire the pieces of ornaments on the wall. She smiles before taking in the aroma of the house, "Mm, I'm going to miss this fragrance," she says, chortling.

Charles opens the door and we soon get out to head to the car.

As soon as we're in the car, Nathan calls driving once again. "Okay so we're heading to the hotel and then we can take a break and head to the creek nearby for a walk and observe the stars, yes?" He suggests, checking if his opinion is alright with us.

Amanda nods, "Definitely!"

•••

I bounce onto the sheets of the hotel bedroom. Nathan, Ella and I are sharing one, while Charles and Amanda get their own separate bedroom - although, they're all in one same room. It's just divided up, having four different beds.

"I'm hungry," Ella complains, as she lies in bed, looking at her phone screen. Everyone's extremely tired since we've been out and going to different places. Plus, sitting in a car half the time isn't too much fun either.

"Can you stop complaining for once?" Nathan remarks, annoyed. Nathan seems to be caught up in trying to fix the bedsheets that I was sprawled in a few seconds ago. He's also settling the luggage down.