15 | unimagined success

Two days had passed since our opening of Cat's Cafe and things were turning out very well.

Our foot traffic flow inside the cafe had increased every day and Amanda and I had to work twice as hard.

"Two coffees and two Oreo shakes!" Amanda called the next order. I hustled immediately placing the mugs under the coffee machines. While the coffee was brewing, I opened the fridge to get out milk and from the freezer, vanilla ice cream. I grabbed a box of Oreos and dumped all the ingredients inside the blender. Once the texture of the Oreo mixture was just right, which was thick but not too thin, I poured it into two medium sized glasses. I filled them just under the top of the glass. Using my whip cream, I decorated the top to make the touch look elegant. Lastly, I took an Oreo cookie and gently placed it on top, mindful not to have the whole mixture over flow. I did this for the second drink too.

I flashed a smile before quickly hurrying and placing it on a tray. The coffee was finished, so I also, placed the two mugs on the tray.

As I wondered who had ordered these, Amanda seemed to have read my mind. "Table two." Amanda voiced my thoughts. It's a family of four.

My heart melted as I looked over the counter to notice that a family of four was sitting on the table conversing. The supposedly father was reading the newspaper and talking to his kids while the mother was fixing the little boy's tie. A father, a mother, a daughter and a son. A perfect family. I envied the perfect look they had together. The little girl burst out laughing, who was presumably five, at her brother's joke. Her father eyed her with a warning expression while her mother chuckled along with the situation. She lightly hit her husband on his forearm. He looked towards his wife and gently smiled at her before they both pulled in for a heartwarming kiss. The two, innocent kids covered each other's eyes. I chuckled. It was indeed a perfect family. One that I had dreamed of all my life. One that I couldn't get because mom and dad left Charles and I separated. Why did they leave us? Where were they? Those questions were still unanswered and are probably going to be left unanswered. I let out a weary sigh.

"Charlotte?" Amanda snapped in front of me. I immediately came back to Earth. "Huh?" I asked. Amanda chuckled, "You've been staring at them for so long. What's up?" She genuinely asked. I didn't want to start my rant right now, seeing that there was another man in line waiting for his order. "Right." I said, quickly picking up the tray and trudging towards the family. My expressions broke into a smile when the family noticed me. "Two coffees and two Oreo cookie shakes," I repeated their order, "anything else?" I asked in confirmation.
The father shook his head in a 'no'. I nodded and said my 'enjoy' to them.

I watched the family once again having some family time. While I was happy that the family was bonding, I was furious; to whom though? My parents. My anger inside me was boiling when I just tried to apprehend why my mother and father would leave me and never come back for me. They never told me where they were going. They never tried to contact me. They just left me; left me hanging.

"Charlotte?" Someone called me. I instantly snapped out of my thoughts once again. I looked to who was calling my name, and it was Amanda.

"Why don't you go out for some fresh air?" She suggested. Amanda was right. I think I needed some time to think and perhaps just breathe. It was getting quite stuffy in the room. I gave a short nod and headed outside.

I opened the front door and stood outside in the heated day. The sun was out, almost at the top. I reckon it was probably ten o'clock in the morning.

"Charlotte?" Someone called my name again. Why can't I stay in peace for once? I always seem to have something to do or someone to talk to when I don't want to.
However, this voice was sounding old and frail. "Charlotte, is that you?" Someone called again, I turned around to see who the person was.