Spread Your Wings

Start from the beginning

Eros smiled even wider and started swinging his wings in an asymmetrical, unorthodox pattern. Soon after this pathetic attempt, he fell upon his face, giving an accurate and concise explanation of his capabilities when it came to flying. Realizing that Eros would have a long way to go before even beginning to hold himself straight, Articuno sighed in frustration, simply stating, "Well, let's start with the basics."

"The basics" took Eros much longer than he thought they would, consisting of lessons upon lessons who's primary component was drilling and repetition of the same basic motions over and over. At first, he had to practice running much faster than he was normally comfortable with, since he supposedly needed to be able to do so when landing. While this seemed to be no more than an excuse to give Sicily the opportunity to throw Eros as hard as she can, this training's use became much more apparent later on in the day. By the end of the hour, Eros was barely managing to stay on his two feet when tossed horizontally to the ground, his brisk hops slightly easing the tension on Articuno's demeanor.

The next step involved much more injury than the last step, its basic yet quintessential lesson necessary to learning the art of flight. Articuno commanded that Eros walk onto the catwalk (from one of the many stairs leading up to it) and jump back into the fort, making sure to glide on the way down. Although deceivingly simple-looking, mastering the art of gliding was nearly impossible for Eros. It wasn't impossible by any standards, yet the process took a tremendous toll on his body. Much like the few times he had to roll on the ground and injure himself when Sicily threw him, his every mistaken attempt at flight ended up dropping him more than a few meters every time, his diminutive size coupling into tremendous crashes that added up over the hour.

While gliding was simply extending the wings and waiting, it was incredibly difficult to keep his wings extended against the weight of his body and the rush of the wind. He lacked the initial confidence to hold his wings out against the pain the first ten or so tries, but with a little encouragement from Sicily he let his wings bear the weight and carry him whatever distance they could. He felt accomplished and nearly celebrated with Sicily on his first success, despite only gliding a few yards his first try; However, with the scorning of Articuno, he continued his training again and worked out a few more flaws in his technique that allowed him to successfully nearly a hundred yards by the end of the day.

The toll of the constant failures and crashes took its toll alright, but that didn't waver Eros from awakening at the peak of dawn the next morning. He managed to wake up even earlier than all the rest of the Druids, nudging Sicily awake eagerly to greet Articuno at the door, whose next session involved Sicily flying up with Eros in her arms. High.

Sicily was infinitely more skeptical than Eros, despite his claim to mastery over the art of gliding. Either way, she soon carried a tiny, enthusiastic and daring Pidgy nearly 400 meters into the sky- that's nearly a quarter mile, something I don't want to run again- and prepared herself to drop her trainer from this height; Luckily for her, she didn't have to, as Eros jumped out unexpectedly with the lust for the freedom of flight. The first few seconds of tumbling were terrifying for the both of them, but that was soon to change.

He was nearly euphoric as he adjusted himself and let the air gently bring his wings up and at an angle perfect for soaring above the forests of Morono. His gliding brought him a good distance over the inferior shrubbery below, the tiny Pokemon in the brush much smaller from this height. A few more seconds of flying straight led Sicily to appear flying at his side, giving an odd kind of smirk he'd never witnessed before. "Better turn back." Eros simply nodded in agreement and adjusted his wings so that they'd turn him around and start bringing him back to the fort.

He felt completely safe with Sicily at his side and suspended high in the air, yet he was suddenly touched by the slightest hint of anticipation. He looked down, realizing the ground was not too far off from him, meaning he'd have to end his flight sooner than he wanted or have Sicily grab him. Of course, there could be another way... Despite his fear of strain upon his feathers, he made a natural-feeling motion of his wings in an odd circle, the half where the wing came down slightly more open than the other half, slightly pushing his body higher in the sky. He repeated this strenuous process eight or nine more times, clearing him of the forest at least three times his former height, as well as accelerating him much faster than before.