THE BABY MILL [[51]] DOPPLER

Start from the beginning

            Blue gel was spread over the carrier’s stomach. Against his heated skin it provided a nice contrast though he wished it could reach further to his core to put to sleep the real rattling heat there.

            The knob pertaining to the machine rolled over his belly. Onew cracked his eyes open to watch the black and white image forming on the screen by his head. Dr. Park let the woman manoeuvre the machine while he kept his eye peeled on the image.

            It horrified Onew every time to see what was within him. He could easily identify the head of the child considering the amount of time he’d been in this very position. He couldn’t help but look back at the doctor to see how he was taking it, though. He was the only one qualified to decipher what was actually happening, besides the woman.

            The look of annoyance on his face had morphed to one of concern. He muttered a command at the woman to move back to a certain spot and pointed hi index finger at the screen.

            “Do you see this?” he questioned.

            “Yes sir,” was the curt reply.

            “Move it this way.”

            The knob rotated another way showing the image at a different angle. Onew watched closely, feeling in his gut that something was not the same as usual. Dr. Park circled with his finger a part on the screen. All the eyes in the room settled on what the doctor was babbling about.

            “Two heads. Move it this way. Two pairs of feet.”

            Two? Two heads? Two pairs? On the baby? Did that mean his child was deformed? It wouldn’t be unusual for the foetus to be deformed. It happened often with Dr. park’s experiments.

            “Not that way. God, you’re a bunch of incompetent fools,” Dr. Park grumbled. He snatched the machinery away from his co-worker and directed it himself. It moved over Onew’s stomach in rapid spurts. He darted around trying to find all the places he could that would give him clearer vision.

            “Twins. There are twins in your womb,” he finally announced.

            The air seemed to be sucked out of the room. Onew himself didn’t know what to think. Twins? What did that mean for him? He wasn’t exactly at his best health wise. This pregnancy was already stretching him to his limits. To carry double the burden ight snap him completely.

            “Are you certain of this?” the woman asked.

            “Don’t question me as if I’m daft like you. Look at this. I would think your PHD would at least make you competent enough to decipher an ultrasound image!”

            The quip between the two only grew from there. Onew faded out momentarily to weigh the consequences in his weary mind. The differences with this pregnancy was already showing. His organs were punching against each other, his lungs suffering the most due to many reasons all related to the child – children – he was now carrying.

            “This will mark his health tremendously, doctor.”

            “I know.”

            “He can hardly support one child in his condition let alone two.”

            “He is in a well enough condition to carry an infant to term.”

            “He’s not and you know it.”

            “Am I or am I not the head doctor here? Did I or did I not develop a method to procreate in a man’s body by combining three strands of DNA and transplanting organs?”