Chapter 10

I really hope Justin's alright. His beat up face keeps flashing in my mind. Who did that to him. Is someone blackmailing him the way someone blackmailed me. I just really hope that he doesn't put himself in danger for me.

"Hey." Anna says sitting down beside me. I'm helping Anya by painting masks for a native holiday later this week. I'm sitting on the floor of my hut painting the masks with the homemade paint and brushes.

"Hey, are you okay?" I ask setting a mask down.

"Yeah... I mean worrying wont really help the situation. I'm fine!" She replies plastering a smile on her face. I know she's hurting on the inside. I can see it in her eyes.

"It's okay to be upset Anna. It's okay to show your real feelings. You don't have to hide them around me." I explain giving her a sympathetic smile.

"I know and I'm fine." She answers again smiling. "I didn't get to properly congratulate you! Your engaged!" Anna exclaims excitement shining through her eyes.

"Yeah, I just hope he's alright. His face was so bruised up and his lip was cut. Do you think he's being blackmailed? "I ask my voice getting small as I say my last sentence.

"Your Justin's world Kate. Im not gonna sugar coat anything for you. Its highly likely. I mean Justin would give everything up for you."

"I wish you would've sugarcoated it." I mumble. Don't do anything stupid for me Justin is all I can think.

"For now all you can do is fantasize about your wedding!" Anna exclaims making me laugh.

"If there ever is a wedding. What if he doesn't survive?" I say tears threatening to fall from my eyes.

"Don't think like that Kate. Justin is strong. He'll get through this." Anna reassures me. "Now, wedding fantasizing!" Anna exclaims. I nod and decide that Anna's right. Worrying won't make it any better

"Ok ummm Is there an engagement ring and wedding ring? Or are they the same thing?" I ask feeling stupid.

"It's two rings. Your promise ring is your engagement ring. And then you will decide together, what you want the wedding ring to be. The engagement ring usually has a diamond. And the wedding ring is just a band. So I guess the fact that your promise ring is your engagement ring works out just fine." Anna explains.

"I'm actually glad that I didn't get a different ring as my engagement ring. Because I love this this ring."

"That's good. What do you want your wedding dress to be like?" Anna asks. I really don't want to talk about my wedding right now. I feel like Justin should be there so we talk over it as a couple. So I decide to flip the conversation around.

"What was your wedding dress like?" I ask feeling smart.

"You helped me pick it out!" Anna answers looking at me weirdly. All sense of smartness vanishes. Nice going Kate. My strategy did not work.

"Yeah, I mean-" I sigh. "Anna I don't really feel like talking about my wedding right now. I know you said that worrying doesn't help anything. But I can't help but worry right now." I say. Now it's my turn to sit on the beach and cry my heart out.

"Are you okay?" I hear someone ask. I quickly wipe the tears off of my face.

"Yeah I'm fine." I reply turning around to see who it is. It's max. Ugghhh!

"You don't seem fine." He comments sitting down next to me.

"Why do care?" I spit back.

"Well you are my friend."

"Oh don't you pull that one on me! What do really want?" I yell glaring at him.

"Nothing I just want to get to know you a little better." He replies smiling at me.

"I'm not that naive high schooler that fangirled over you every word. It's been six years! I've grown up!" I yell.

"And so have I! I always liked you Kate, I was just never smart enough to see it."

"No, you can't just do this to me now. I asked you six years ago if you wanted to date and you laughed. You laughed right in my face. Do you even know how badly i wanted to throw myself over a cliff because of that! You took my heart and shattered it! I had to put the pieces back together! And I will not let you shatter it again!" I yell spilling all of my built up angering .

"I'm sorry I didn't know. I'm sorry. But I've grown up too! Just give me a chance Kate!" He begs looking into my eyes.

"No." I reply returning his smile with a glare.

"Kate, you know you still love me." He says leaning towards me. I feel numb as I remember my dream.

"I do not love you!" I yell. "I don't even know you!"

"Are you sure about that." Max replies and leans in to kiss me.