Barlowen {It Only Takes a Minute Boy To Fall In Love} {9/13}

Mark hadn't heard from Gary. Not a word. Not a text. Not a call. Nothing.

It was worrying. He was almost tempted to break down and cry because deep down he knew Gary was an extremely professional figure and probably the most hard-working member of Take That – and to add to that, Gaz now had his X-Factor judging gig and consequently wouldn't be able to spare an ounce of time for Mark.

Of course, this was made worse the next morning when Mark picked up the paper and flicked through to the showbiz section. Gary was at Robbie's house in LA, working on the finishing touches of Rob's next album. Mark wouldn't have minded – except Gary hadn't even mentioned to him that he was leaving the bloody country.

Taking out his phone, he immediately dialled Jason.

"Hey Mark."

"So did Gaz tell you he was going to America?"
There was a pause. "What? Erm, yeah... yeah he did. Why?"
"Well he didn't tell me."

"Right okay." Another pause. "You've never been concerned about what Gary is up to before. Is something wrong Mark?"

"No. Nonono. It's all good 'ere. I just wondered why he hadn't told me. That's all."

"Okay mate. Is everything alright at home?"

"Yeah. It's fine mate. S'all fine." Mark pressed his lips together tightly and flicked back to the page showing Robbie and Gary. They were smiling outside Rob's mansion. Robbie was looking straight ahead, a proud smile on his face as he'd managed to clock the paparazzi, whereas Gaz was looking at his friend with a kind of fondness. Mark swallowed. The jealousy was coming back.

"Mark? You still there?"
"Oh yeah. Sorry Jase. I gotta go."

He hit the 'end call' button and scrolled down to 'Robbie's Home' in his phone address book. He pressed dial and waited, the phone now tight against his ear. A lifetime of ringing... and then a woman's voice. Ayda's.

"Hello?"

"Hiya Ayda. It's Mark Owen."

"Oh hey there honey, would you like to speak to Rob?"

"Yeah love, if that's not too much trouble."

He heard the phone being put down gently, then a series of footsteps and a few voices. A minute must have passed before Robbie picked up.
"Hey Markie! You okay bud?"

"Alright Rob? I'm good. Is Gaz there with you?"

"Er, yep. Yep. He's out at the moment though. Wants to find a café or something. He loves the fact he's never recognised here. He can go out wherever he wants... whenever."

"Ahh. Great." Mark faked a smile in hope that he'd sound remotely happy on the other end of the phone. "So how's the album coming along?"

"Mark, it's fucking genius. Honest to god, I've got some fucking brilliant lyrics going on here. I wish you could hear some actually mate!"

"You could email them ta' me."

"Yeah I could." Robbie cleared his throat. "Or- you could come out here? If you're not too busy. That'd be cool."

"Really? What... and stay at your place? Surely you and Ayda wouldn't want me hangin' round as well as Gaz."

"Oh come on mate."

"Alright alright. I'll be there in a few days. Will keep you updated."

"Nice one Mark. Nice one. You're gonna love these tunes."

Mark genuinely smiled. "Rob?"

"Yeah?"

"Don't tell Gaz I'm coming down to see you. I want it to be a surprise."

Robbie chuckled. "Keeping a plan secret from Captain Barlow himself? Is that possible? Nah don't worry mate, I'll keep schtum"

The two men laughed and sighed simultaneously before hanging up.