Barlowen {It Only Takes a Minute Boy, To Fall In Love} {4/13}

Mark paced up the steps and towards the front door.

"Markie! Wanna join in mate?" Jason was holding a set of playing cards in one hand and a drink in the other.

"Nah thanks."

Mark continued over the threshold and into the kitchen where Gary was alone, stirring a cup of tea.

"Gaz."

"Hey Mark, enjoying the party?" he asked, seemingly at ease.

"Is Dawn around?"

"No mate, she's gone to bed early. Headache. We've got to get up early to collect the kids from her mum's house tomorrow."

"Oh right."

"Why'd you ask?"

"Because I was hoping I could talk to you – alone. And now I can. So, good."

Gary raised an eyebrow. "Okay, fire away. What do you wanna discuss? You look goddamn serious, you do mate."

"You keep looking at me funny. All evening. Do you have a problem with me being here or something?"

The corners of Gary's mouth turned up into a smile, causing Mark to feel foolish and hot all of a sudden. "What you on about lad? I was thinking the same thing about you. You've been staring at me... all afternoon, all evening. I thought perhaps you were just tired or something."

Mark felt trembly under Gary's gaze. The older man was having a weird effect on him and he didn't know why. When he glanced back at Gary, he could swear he was starting to sweat.

"Gary – I ... I just feel weird."

"You haven't been, y'know, drinking anything have you?"

"No. I just-"

"Come here, you." Gary came forward and closed Mark into a hug. They fit into the hug perfectly because Gary wasn't all that much taller than himself. Mark found himself holding tightly onto his friend, feeling his broad and firm shoulders and the curvature of his back. He breathed in Gary's signature scent – it was one of the more subtle and earthy perfumes for men, but it was perfect for Gaz.

Neither of the men let go for a long time.

"Feeling better Mark?" Gary whispered in his ear.

It sent shivers down Mark's spine and he arched towards Gary, pressing their bodies closer together. "Much better." He instinctively snaked his hand up the back of Gary's shirt, which elicited a quiet moan from the other man. Mark closed his eyes, realising this was going too far over the friendship barrier but he couldn't seem to help himself. He wanted to feel Gary submitting to him and vice versa. He pulled back very slightly to look at Gary's face; the man's eyes were closed, his lips parted, his breath coming out in delightfully short and desperate puffs. Mark was lost in this view as he started to touch his friend in forbidden places, watching Gary's expression change from guilt to pleasure to desperation to hesitance and back to guilt again.

Mark began whispering in his ear, "What are we doing Gaz?"

Gary was starting to gasp, every fibre of his being was scorching hot and suddenly willing. "I don't know. I don't know," he panted feverishly.

They were stopped short when they heard people returning from outside. They both pulled away abruptly – they were in the real world again. Gary's eyes were wide, pupils blown.

"Um... just, god, I didn't mean to do that. Blame the alcohol. Mark, that was wrong... very wrong mate."

"No it wasn't."

"Mark, seriously now..."

"Gaz, please. This is why we've been so tense around each other-"

"Shut up Mark."

"-We want each other..."

Gary was in the kitchen with Mark one minute and was out the door saying his goodbyes the next. The guests had finally realised that it was getting too late to stay. It's as if nothing's just happened, Mark thought, his fists clenching.

"Bye Mark!" a few people called from the front doorway. Mark smiled and nodded over at them, watching as the last person left the house. Gary shut the front door, pinching the bridge of his nose in exasperation. "Right, now leave please Mark... Emma's sitting in the car outside waiting for you."

"No Gary."

"You have to go mate."

"You felt something, I know you did. But prim and proper Gary Barlow can't be seen expressing his true feelings eh?"

"You sound just like Rob..."

"I don't give a fuck Gaz. You're too arrogant and pig-headed to admit things to yourself. Think about how stupid I feel now."

"Oh get a hold of yourself Mark... Get a grip. I've been drinking... I'm light-headed, I felt safe with you. One thing led to another. In fact, nothing really happened when you stop and think about it."

"But it did! 'Ere, I bet you wanted to kiss me and everything."

"Right that does it... Get out..."

Gary took Mark by the collar of his jacket and opened the front door.
"Go home with your wife - your loving and ever-forgiving wife. And I'll go upstairs to mine."

"You're lying to yourself Gary Barlow..." Mark hissed.

"Goodbye now." Gary slammed the door in Mark's face and marched upstairs, only to stop half way to his bedroom and sigh. He put his hands over his face and stifled a sob. What had he just done?