Barlowen {It Only Takes a Minute Boy, To Fall In Love} {3/13}

The night was beginning to fall and Mark sat next to one of the large windows in Gary's living room. He spotted Robbie and Ayda outside, lighting sparklers. Rob was drawing with light in the air – was he drawing a knob or something? Mark giggled and Rob soon noticed, chuckling and gesturing him outside.

The warm night air was lovely and Mark grinned insanely as Robbie continued to draw rude words and objects with his sparkler. It soon went out though.

"What are ya' like eh Rob? Bloody 'ell. In Gary Barlow's front garden an' all."

"Yeah, it's weird. This place is like well prim and proper. Thought Gaz would've calmed down a bit by now, but his abode is still as neat as ever." Robbie's green eyes sparkled and Mark looked at his friend fondly. He liked it when it was just the two of them having a chat and a banter. Ayda was now in conversation with Emma and Howard's girlfriend. Howard and Jason were sitting on the step leading up to the house with one of Jason's pals. They were playing some sort of intelligent card game.

Robbie noticed Mark looking around. "Are you looking for Gaz? He's probably cleaning up indoors. You know what he's like for having everything in order. God, he's annoying."

Mark bit his lip and looked directly at Rob. "You and him. Are you mates or enemies? Sometimes I can never tell."

"Nah he's my mate. I love the guy, but he's just so unlike me."

Ayda suddenly appeared beside them before Mark could ask any more. "Babe, we've got to head off like right now... Have you seen the time?"

Rob consulted his watch and raised his eyebrows. "Oh Christ, yeah. Leaving for LA tomorrow. Lots of American TV to enjoy for the duration of the year."

He enveloped Mark into a quick hug then proceeded to find the others to say goodbye.

A few moments later, Gary came outside. He must have heard from someone that Robbie was leaving and he stepped forward to give him a one-armed hug. Mark looked on curiously, watching as both of them stepped nearer to each other. Gary's other hand went round Rob now. The two of them looked very close, but the embrace was undeniably innocent. It was a proper matey hug. So why did Mark feel so angry at Gaz?

"Okay bye guys!" Robbie called, getting into a car with blacked out windows along with Ayda. "Keep in contact, enjoy your holidays! Yadayadayada!"

And with that, he was gone.

Mark turned to face the house. Everyone was resuming with what they were doing before – apart from Gary, whose eyes were fixed on Mark. Mark felt a shudder tear right through him as Gary's deep set eyes narrowed in his direction – and suddenly realisation hit. Mark hadn't been jealous of Gary at all. He'd been jealous of Robbie. He had been jealous that Rob was taking away his 'safe base'. Mark wanted Gary's attention and approval and jokey laughter all to himself.

But why was he feeling this all now? The need for Gary's attention... or indeed, the need for Gary's whole being, had intensified tenfold in the last few years.

Robbie's return had meant Mark felt more alone than ever, even though he adored his friend really.

Mark made eye contact with Gary again, but this time Gary looked away and hastily went back indoors.

This just wouldn't do. What the hell is wrong with him?