Answers

"Something old."

A mother's veil. "Check."

"Something new."

The gorgeous new wedding dress. "Check."

"Something borrowed."

A string of pearls around the neck. "Check."

"And last but not least, something blue."

The theme of the wedding, but more specifically, blue satin heels on the feet. "Check."

We both take each other's hands and squeeze. "Today's the big day."

She nods, "I know. Can you believe it?"

"Actually, I can. I know it's meant to be."

Charlie snorts at me and rolls her eyes, "You really think that, Emma? Miss Cynical and the girl who thinks every relationship is doomed? That's what I really can't believe."

I drop one of her hands and plant mine on my hip, "I'm trying to keep optimistic for the wedding, okay? Do you want me going around spouting pessimistic crap everywhere? Especially today?"

"To tell the truth, I was expecting it." She shrugs.

"Hey!"

"What? It's not my fault I know how you are?"

I sneer at her, "You sound like Tabitha."

"Then I think we're both onto something then." I roll my eyes. "I was talking to her earlier and we both came to the same conclusion about you. I think it pretty much sums you up perfectly right now." She grabs me squarely in the shoulders and stares hard with her big chocolate eyes, "Don't take this the wrong way but, Emma Bennett, you are the stupidest girl ever. You are just so dumb and thick and just stupid!" I try to pull away, but she doesn't let go. "No, you haven't let me talk to you about this all month. But now, you don't have a choice."

"Not now, Charlie."

"It's my wedding day! You have to do as I say, and I say we talk about what happened! And what you're doing today because what you're doing is so stupid! It's just not normal!"

I've been avoiding this topic ever since it happened. Everyone has asked about it, and I do mean everyone, and nearly on a daily basis. I got tired of it after the first day, but they all persisted. They all insisted I talk to someone, not a therapist because it's nothing like that, but a friend, like Charlie or Tabitha, who have both been on me since day one, but I've refused to talk to them about the matter. And to tell the truth, the reason I haven't wanted to explain to anyone else is because I can't even explain it to myself.

"Emma, please. I need to know. It can be my wedding gift if you'd like. I just need to know why on earth you still haven't given him an answer. And then... oh and then," Charlie folds her arms and presses one hand to her forehead, "Then you're stupid enough to bring him here... to a wedding! Don't you think it'll add on the pressure?!"

"No, David would never do that!"

"It's been a whole month since he proposed, Emma. And you have yet to give him an answer. He got down on one knee for you and asked you to marry him- even after you accused him of cheating- and you said I don't know! I would say he's dumb enough to go along with this, but I feel so bad for the guy."

"He said I could take all the time I need."

"Probably because he thought it was only going to take a couple days."

"But I still don't know!"

"It's not that hard a decision. A simple yes or no will suffice. No one takes this long to answer the frickin' question."