Pumpkin Eater

I'm in a pair of his sweat pants rolled up to accommodate my waist and a snug tee shirt. My hair's up in a sloppy bun, I have no make up on, and every few seconds I'm pushing my glasses up the ridge of my nose. Plus I have my earbuds in playing music from my iPod. Currently, I'm trying to clean our apartment. The apartment we've been sharing for the past three months. So far, nothing bad has happened between us. But me, being me, I'm still expecting a fall out somewhere along the way. I'm glad there hasn't been, but I'm just waiting for it. I never tell him that though. He'd only get on my case for being pessimistic.

Our apartment. The thought still scares me sometimes.

It's not a mess, I just felt the need to tidy up around here while David's out. Not that he'd complain. He's just at his morning classes, and I don't have today's classes until the afternoon, so I wanted to keep myself busy.

But I'm not a big fan of cleaning, so I also have to keep myself entertained. Which is why I have the music on. I'm humming or mumbling to the lyrics as I wipe down the counter, or scrub the toilet. Until one certain song comes on. You see, me and this song have a love/hate relationship. I use to hate the song, but it gets in your head. I know every word and I eventually came to love it, but secretly. It's only times like this that I indulge myself by singing out loud.

"You know you love me, I know you care,

Just shout whenever, and I'll be there,

You want my love, you want my heart

And we would never, ever, ever be apart"

I'm in mine and David's closet singing, and sorting out dirty clothes into dark and light piles for a wash. By the time the chorus comes on, I'm carrying the darks pile in a hamper out into the living room, still singing.

"And I was like

Baby, baby, baby, ohh

Like, baby, baby, baby, noo

Like, baby, baby, baby, ohh

I thought you'd always be mine, mine"

"We've got Bieber fever, huh, sugar?" My heart nearly leaps out of my chest when I see Tabitha sitting on my sofa, holding back giggles. I had dropped my hamper and the clothes spilled onto the ground. Shoot me in the face! She heard me! I yank off my earbuds out and bend down to pick up the clothes, probably as red as the shirt in my hand. "Emma, you can go to jail for just looking at him wrong, you know?" she teases.

"And you can go to jail for breaking and entering."

She grunts. "I almost went to jail earlier for assault. He's so dead." I stand up, raise an eyebrow and sit into my hip. She rolls her eyes, "Okay, if I did what I wanted to do in my mind, I would have. My mind is pretty brutal."

"And what was that?"

She pounds her fist into her palm, "Beating the crap out of a guy! The things I imagined doing to him, horrible! Kicking and scratching, running him over with my car! Oh! And the stuff I wanted to do with that girl! You can't even imagine how violent the images got! I don't even know the girl, but the moment I saw her, I knew I would loathe her! I wish I would've run them both over! I was so tempted! But if I hadn't been blocked in by traffic... I may have gone to jail!"

I'm holding back laughs, "Who is this guy? An old boyfriend with a new girlfriend?" All her comedic anger vanishes and she's looking at me, biting her lip. I don't know what to expect from this look. "Who was it? Bobby?" Her last boyfriend. "Was it Bobby? Who was the girl? The one we caught him with the day right after you split?"