Pants on Fire

David repeats his question, acting as if he heard wrong, "Did you say cheat?"

His grip on me is now loose enough that I can probably make it out of the apartment without getting captured again. I turn around and look him in his blue eyes. But David's expression is so lost, I just don't feel as mad as before.

"Emma?!"

I'm beyond confused right now. He looks and sounds genuinely perplexed as well. But then I tell myself he could be just acting, so some of the anger returns. "Yeah. What else would we be talking about? Tabitha saw you with that other girl today." Heather of all people. More anger returns and I finally get up and leave. He doesn't even follow, which makes me more suspicious, but not enough to turn back around. I'm in the elevator, still confused by his question, when he begins to chase after me.

"Wait! Emma, hold on!"

I press the button for the door to close quicker five or six times in a row within a two second time span, not caring if I break the button in the process. But it does me no good. The door is not even half way closed when he pushes the door back open and comes at me. I back away into a corner, but he takes a step toward me and I slide into a different corner.

"I don't care to hear your lies," I say in small voice. "Let's just leave it at this and forget about each other. Just go off and be with Heather if you want. She is prettier, I mean, if you like blonds better." I could even hear the jealousy in that.

He crinkles his eyebrows, "Heather? What does she have to do with this?"

I roll my eyes, "Don't play dumb with me David Miller."

"I'm serious." He steps closer, and now he's got me cornered.

"So am I."

For a split second I believe him.

I crack a smile, waggling my finger, "You almost got me there. You're good. You're really good, David." I sneer at him. "You think you can charm me into falling into your arms again, don't you?" I stand up straight and wave my hand, gesturing to all of him. "With your perfect reddish brown hair, and your baby blue eyes," Which are now staring at me intensely, with a hint of confusion, "And- and the cute things you say, the way you make me feel when you touch me and..." Am I convincing myself not to take him back, or to kiss him on the spot? "We're over, got it? We're through. And this time it's staying that way. Now let me leave while I still have my dignity."

"We're not over though."

"Well, I hope when you say we, you're talking about you and Heather because you and I are not a we any longer. Personally, I can't be in love with a man who cheats." But I do still love him. I sigh, and shrug, "You know, since you decided to cheat on me."

He winces at the word. "There you go, saying cheat again."

"Oh, do your prefer the term adultery?" I tease.

"I'd prefer if you stopped saying both."

Being really childish, I start chiding both. "Cheat. Adultery. Cheat. Adultery. Cheat. Adultery. Cheat. Adultery. Cheat. Adultery. Cheat. Adultery." He just cocks an eyebrow at me, so I get a little louder, even resorting to cupping my hands around my mouth, "Cheat. Adultery. Cheat! Adultery! Cheat! Adultery!" He yanks away my hands, but I only persist, "Cheater! Adulterer!" I know I sound like an imbecile, but this is his fault. David tries to get me to shut up, and he keeps trying to say something, but I cover my ears and repeat the two words over and over again, even closing my eyes so I can't read his lips. "Cheater! Adulterer! Cheater, cheater! Pumpkin eater! Liar, liar! Pants on fire! Che-"