"MY HEART!"

My outburst took us all by surprise. Chris' interest seemed peaked. Dani not wishing to get caught up in the discussion, walked out of the room with her laptop in hand. Craving for a cup of coffee I walked to the coffee maker and served two mugs, one for a quiet Chris and one for myself, grabbed some bread and made some toast. Chris was smelling the coffee and sipped carefully while tasting the flavor. A humming sound escaped his lips. He loved it.

"This is really good"

I smiled and placed a plate with toast, butter and jam in front of him.

"I know."

He accepted the food and looked at me.

"So, are you gonna tell me who holds your heart in Vancouver that is so important that you are jeopardizing your career?"

"My fiancé and his new born daughter need me. So do my brother and his girlfriend. This last minute meeting in Chicago diverted me from a flight to Vancouver but being away from them this week is tearing my family apart. My fiancé is about to leave for South Africa for almost two months. I need to patch up our relationship before he leaves. Look, you're my boss and I think you are decent enough to let me take a few days of personal time to be with my family and to let Dani attend the meeting on my behalf until I return."

He kept looking at me, his expression unreadable. I've just met him but I could tell that he was mulling over the family bombshell I had just dropped on his lap. Finally he cleared his throat.

"Why didn't you go to Vancouver instead of coming here?"

Good question.

"Shelby made the meeting seem urgent and I didn't want the project canned because the female lead didn't come to Chicago. Come to think about it, more movies than I can count cast Latina women in stereotypical roles, poorly educated, domestic home helps or highly sexualised. This movie cast me as an intelligent, articulate, independent and successful woman. People are crying out for shows and movies that do that. Look at the multiple awards winning 'How to Get Away with Murder' that mirrors what is happening in real life. In recent years we have had Sonia Sotomayor become Associate Justice of the Supreme Court. Hilary Clinton is considered a serious candidate for President of the United States. This movie could be part of the movement for more female leadership and stronger female roles."

I took a sip of my now cold coffee and wondered if I had given Chris arguments that would allow him to give me the time off. Chris was munching on his toast whilst looking at me as if seeing me for the first time. Then the most unexpected thing happened. He patted me on the back, like a boss proud of his male or female star. He gave me an all American boy smile. It was dashing. His touch gave me some butterflies in my stomach which I tried my best to ignore.

"Maca, I got a glimpse of that passion in your audition reels. You've just convinced me that you are perfect for this role. I'll let Dani fill in for you in meetings so long as you keep informed about developments through her and return within a week."

I stood up from my stool and put my arms around his neck, his ocean blue eyes widened in shock but he recovered almost immediately and gently rested his hand on my waist, I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek and his grin was back.

"Thank you! I really appreciated"

He cleared his throat and said.

"Well, I might as well give you a ride to the airport and then I'll take Dani to the meeting"

I was about to say no when Dani came to my rescue.

"That won't be necessary, your cab will be here in five"