xvii. living my life in the margin

"I thought we were done." Lamar mutters, letting out a breath. Laurent shrugs, blowing out smoke, making Lamar cough. "You gotta blow that shit into my face nigga?" He snaps, looking at Laurent.

Laurent turns his gaze on him, inhaling some smoke from the blunt and blowing it directly in Lamar's face, making his frown deepen. "I don't know who the fuck you talking to pussy." Laurent says, flicking some of the ash off the blunt. "But it ain't me."

"Tsk, man, why y'all got me here." Lamar mutters.

"Because I fucking said so bitch." Larry says, walking over. He stops in front of Lamar and punches him in his mouth.

"What the fuck-"

"Looking at you makes me fucking sick." Larry says, watching Lamar recover. Larry snarls and punches him again, before walking off. "I can't fucking believe you."

"I said I was sorry dude." Lamar says, spitting out some blood. "It wasn't me, it was that fucking drug."

Larry rolls his eyes. "You taking that shit again?"

"Ace said that Donovan needed it tested again."

"So you take it on yo son's birthday?" Laurent asks, passing the blunt to Larry. "You a one of a kind."

"Y'all are crazy. I didn't know what he was gonna do if I didn't." Lamar says, sighing. "I'm really sorry, Larry. I didn't mean to do that shit. I feel sick."

"I don't accept that shit. Everytime I fucking see you, Imma punch you in yo mouth." Larry says, and Lamar swallows, looking down.

"Sorry."

"You better fucking be." Laurent says, cracking his neck. "You call Donovan?" Laurent asks Larry, who nods.

"He'll be here soon." Larry says, closing his eyes to calm himself down. "If this drug ain't working by tonight, I'm gonna go crazy."

"It's a bit too late, isn't it?" Lamar asks, causing the twins to glare at him. "Sorry."

"Keep your mouth shut and just take the drug when it get here."

"A-and then we're done?"

"I tell you nigga, we not done until this shit is good." Laurent says, watching a car pull up. "This Donovan?"

"It better fucking be." Larry growls. "If not, then we gonna have problems."

They all watch as Donovan strolls over, hands in his pockets. "Wassup y'all." He says, greeting them.

"Lemme see the shit." Larry says, walking up to Donovan. He holds his hand out and Donovan drops the small bag filled with one lone pill before kneeing him in the stomach.

"What the fuck was that for?" Donovan coughs.

"Giving that stupid shit to Lamar." Larry says, helping him straighten up. "He almost raped Anni."

"Shiiiit..." Donovan says. "Damn, I knew that shit would fail."

"Nigga, that ain't what we worried about!" Larry says, making Donovan nod.

"Yeah. Sorry about that." He says to Larry, who nodded. "I'll scratch that one off the list."

"And what might this shit do, Don?" Laurent asks, lazily looking over, blowing out more smoke.

"Well, I'm not one hundred percent sure... I made it in hopes to having similar effects as weed, but I'm really not sure. I wanted it to be much stronger and potent, something that would keep you high for possibly days. I tried to use pure THC along with other chemical compounds such as-"