xii. cold nights when you curse this name

"I bet I could go higher than you." Anni says, looking at Laurent.

"My legs are longer, I'm going higher." He says, making her roll her eyes and take her seat on the swings. He follows her, sitting down on the one next to her. "I bet twenty dollars."

"Nigga, it's never been that serious." Anni laughs, starting to swing. "So, not to complain, but why am I spending more of my time with you instead of my boyfriend?"

"He has things to do." He says, shrugging.

"Like what?"

"He tell me not to tell you."

Anni rolls her eyes, looking forward. "You know you can still tell me and we can pretend you didn't."

"Or I can not tell you and we can forget about it."

Anni huffs, closing her eyes. "Y'all never tell me anything."

"Is to keep you safe, Anni." Laurent says, looking over at her.

"Well, I'd feel better know what the fuck my boyfriend is getting himself into! I mean, I hate being in the dark and wondering if he's gonna call me to say he's safe or in a hospital. I never know with you guys."

"He hate hospitals."

"Okay, well, whatever Laurent. That doesn't mean anything."

"We not want you to get involved."

"Isn't it a bit too late for that? Seeing as how I'm already his girlfriend."

"He care about you now. We not want you to get hurt."

"I won't! I'm hurting myself more by not knowing shit!"

"You sound like Emi." Laurent mutters, closing his eyes and turning forward.

"Who?" Anni asks, looking back at Laurent.

"Is no one, don't worry about it." Laurent says, shaking his head. "I'm hungry." He jumps off the swing, walking off and leaving Anni. Anni frowns, jumping off and jogging to catch up with him.

"Thanks for waiting for me." She sarcastically says, crossing her arms.

"Let's go to McDonalds."

"You have money?"

"Yeah. I get you what you want."

"Can you tell me who Emi is?"

"No one." Laurent says, shaking his head.

"Lau, please-"

"She no one, okay?" He loudly says, stopping and turning to face her. "She no one."

"Damn, fine, whatever." Anni says, crossing her arms. "Sorry to get you all worked up."

"Is fine." He says, walking ahead of her. She sighs, the two walking in silence. "Anni."

"Yeah?"

"Emi is the girl I fell in love with. She was there before everything. She was our best friend and my girlfriend. But when she find out what we do for our maman, she hate us and she never talk to us again." Laurent says, shaking his head. "I see her around all the time."

"She still lives out here?"

"Yeah, she no move. I want to talk to her so bad, but she ignore me all the time, so I give up for good. Once, when she with her friends, I beg to talk to her, so many times, even her friends beg her to talk to me, but she act like I not exist. So I leave. That was the last time I try to talk to her again."

"Oh." Anni says, looking down. "I'm sorry if you didn't want to tell me that."

"No, is fine. I tell you that because I want to prove a point. He scared to lose you like we lost Emi. He not want you to ever hate him because he love you.Is why he not tell you everything."