ix. what we have in common is pain

"Sis." Laurent calls out, calling her attention.

"Yeah?" Anni asks, looking up from her sketchbook and wiping her forehead a bit. The two of them were just sitting across from each other on the porch of her house, doing nothing.

"When you gonna be done? My nose itches." Laurent says, wrinkling his nose. Anni smiles and shakes her head.

"Go ahead, scratch it. I'm almost done." She says, and Laurent sighs with relief, relaxing and scratching his nose.

Anni looks back down at her sketchbook, carefully erasing. "How do I look, sis?"

Sometimes, Anni got caught off guard with him calling her that. He started about a week ago, stating that Larry had no plans of ever leaving, so she practically was his sister now. Ever since then, the friendship between Laurent and her had been pretty good.

She wasn't expecting it. She always thought Laurent had hated her just based on the way he looked at her whenever she was around. Anni guessed the five months she's been with Larry finally helped him warm up to her. Which was good.

"You look like Laurent." She says, as he moves over. "I'm not finished though."

He grabs the book and looks at it. "It's like looking into a mirror." He says, a frown on his face.

"What's wrong? Did I do something wrong?"

"I'm so ugly." He mutters, his fingers moving across the picture.

"I mean, I can't agree with you because you look like Larry." She chuckles. "But you aren't ugly."

"Me and my brother look alike, but he not ugly." Laurent says, keeping his eyes on the paper. "I like his face. His face is better than mine."

"You guys are... identical." She mutters, looking over at him. "Laurent, you aren't ugly. You look fine."

"I-"

"When I first met you two, I couldn't tell you apart." Anni says, taking the book from him. "You look fine. Stop putting yourself down. It's weird."

"How you know?"

"What?"

"Now. How you know I not my brother?"

"Well, you have an angry and standoffish look about you. Larry looks more melancholic and unattainable. Then you have a stronger jaw, and your lips are different." Anni shrugs.

"You stare at me too much."

"Or I stare at Larry too much." Anni says, looking at Laurent. "Which is the truth. I studied him first, and noticed his differences."

"You love my brother."

"Yeah. I really do." It wasn't a question, but she answered it like it was.

"That's why he so crazy about you. He never have someone love him for long.For him, people leave. His first girlfriend only like him because he pay her well. He never go out with someone after that except you."

"Well, I'm not like that. I love Larry." Anni shrugs. "And I'm not leaving him."

"Good." Laurent says, closing his eyes. "He need you. Girls like you make guys that do what we do stronger. Guys that do what me and my brother do need motivation or we not last long."

"What's keeping you going?"

"My brother." Laurent says, shrugging. "If he keep going, then I do too. If he stop, then I stop. My brother is everything to me."

Anni nods, looking at Laurent. "Well, I guess we have that in common. He means everything to me too. He is the second most important person in my life."