Chapter Ten

Keep walking. Keep breathing.
Lexa told herself over and over. Her legs had been carrying her for several days without her actually knowing where she went.
It couldn't possibly get any worse, could it?

Lexa slowed down and ran a hand through her hair while trying to catch her breath. She let the adrenaline fade away and her body relaxed.

Keep breathing. She reminded herself again. Since she left Polis, the things that seemed to happen automatically, were like torture to her.
Constantly having to breathe was the hardest thing to do. But every day and every night she forced the air in her lungs and the strength in her muscles -- for Clarke.

The lonely and cold nights were the times when shadows filled her heart and love was fading.
Not the love to Clarke, but the love to herself.

Then her heart would ache, because how could she possibly love Clarke if she didn't even love herself enough to keep breathing, not for someone else, but for herself?

So every night, when the devil took over Lexa's mind, the only thing keeping her lungs from stopping to breathe and her heart from stopping to beat, was Clarke.

Every night when she slowly let her eyes shut she wanted to taste Clarke's lips, wrap a strand of her blonde hair around her finger, and feel her magic touch on her skin.

But all that could only happen in her imagination. So every night she fell asleep and got lost in her dreams, until the daylight dragged her back to reality, and the pain overwhelmed her all over again.

"Keep walking" she whispered, but she didn't move. Her body was slithly bent over and her hands rested on her thighs.
"For Clarke" she whispered, and fought the pain in her legs.
Slowly she set one foot in front of the other and exhaled loudly.

She looked around and knitted her eyebrows together. She recognized this area. The way the trees grew and the deafening silence that was ruling this place.

Lexa broke asweat as she heard a man-made crack sounding from behind her. She immediately turned around and her chest tightened as she looked into the angry expression of a boy.
He was limping, and carrying a girl in his arms, who was slipping in and out of consciousness.

His greasy dark curls fell in his face, that was covered in blood. A quiet groan escaped the girls lips.

Lexa instinctively jumped aside, in between bushes and trees.
She frowned. When did she stop fighting and started to hide instead?

But she couldn't risk anything bad to happen right then. Not before she freed Clarke from Nia's grip.

The boy stumbled past Lexa and just as he disappeared somewhere out of Lexa's sight she noticed the stinging pain in her arms.
Lexa flinched as she discovered, that the bushes had buried their thorns in her skin. She pulled her brows together as she slowly removed the thorns from her upper arm. One by one.

Lexa got up and tried to hide her hurt pride. A Commander doesn't run, let alone hide.
She hesitated for a second as she reminded herself of the fact that she wasn't the Commander anymore. Apperantly Nia had taken over.

Lexa shook her head in disbelief. Nia didn't know what it's like to be responsible for twelve Clans. She didn't know what it meant to be Commander.

Lexa pulled out her sword and wrapped her fingers around its handle. Her expression hardened as she made herself a promise.

She would take back what's hers. Every single one of her Clans, the right to rule them, their loyalty, and Clarke. Her body tensed up. She would do anything in her power to keep it.