Chapter Four

Lexa's eyes scanned the crowd of people surrounding her precisely. There were men shouting and clenching their fists, and women who held back their children, whose curiosity was stronger than their fear and their arms reached out for them. She felt the pressure of Clarke's back that was pressed to hers increase and lightly pressed herself back to Clarke.

This could have been worse she thought as she looked over to the metal hut. From the corner of her eye Lexa could see Clarke's stare resting on the weird shaped hut too. Her eyes were cloudy and her lips pressed together, forming a thin line.

Lexa's eyes snapped over to Echo as she cleared her throat and growled impatiently "What now, Heda?"

Lexa elbowed her lightly in the side and answered "We wait." Echo snorted, she wasn't one to stay down and wait. If there was a problem she would get up, fight, win and leave.

But that wasn't the Commander's way of dealing with problems and she had to respect that or she was the next one to be abandoned. She remembered that not long ago a good warrior of hers was abandoned by the Queen.

Depending on their rank and on the thing they had done, some people get the choice to either be punished and killed most of the time, or to leave the ice nation and never come back.

There were only a few people, who had been given a choice by the Queen, but mostly all of them had chosen to be punished even if it meant their death, because if you leave without having been punished you're nothing more than a coward.

Sometimes she wondered why some people had been given a choice to leave. Nia never told her how she chose the people that deserved another chance to leave the ice nation and run away like a coward, but it would be disrespectful to ask her.

That's just her way of dealing with problems. There had only been one person who chose to not be punished and left the ice nation. She was strong, a tough warrior.

Maybe that's why she was given a chance to not be killed, by the Queen's sharp dagger.
But where did she go? And why did she leave? Nobody knew why she left or what she had done. One day she was called by the Queen and when she left the tent, she straight went into the forest into the opposite direction from the sky people's camp.

Who once turns their back on Azgeda may never return. And she didn't. She never returned. Echo lost one of her greatest warriors that day but the Queen wasn't to be questioned, except the Commander told you to. But Echo would never put the Commander before The Queen.

Echo glanced at Lexa and she could feel herself drowning in distrust. She had seen what the Commander's armies did to her warriors.

It was an ugly war that the Queen and the Commander had fought. Terrible things happened on both of their sides but she was positive that Lexa had no intention of going to let this happen again any time soon.

But Nia wouldn't stay down forever. She was a born leader. She was born great, everybody in Azgeda knew it and that's exactly how she became their leader.

You don't learn being a leader, you're born that way. But the Queen told Echo to listen to the Commander for once. So right now Echo did how she was told and stayed down, waiting for Lexa's command.

Echo got snapped out of her thoughts as she heard Bellamy's heavy footsteps. He was standing in front of her, studying her angry expression with his dark eyes.

His black hair was curled and he ran his hand through it every ten seconds. Echo raised both of her eyebrows at him, not trying to hide how annoyed she was.

Bellamy took a step back and knitted his eyebrows together. He remembered the day that he was in Mount Weather, locked in a cage, and he remembered Echo hissing at him to be quiet if he wanted to live. But after Bellamy was freed by Maya, he kept his promise, destroyed the lock on Echo's cage and freed her. So they were even.