Chapter Eight

A/N: Sorry, it took me quite a while to write this chapter!

*********

Clarke woke up, feeling weak and confused. The dragging pain in her head grew worse as she opened her eyes and the flickering light invaded her eyeballs. Clarke rolled over with a huff and ended up lying on her stomach.
She gazed around the room and discovered it was empty. Her stomach was growling, but she felt like she had to empty her guts again at the same time.
She sat up and winced in pain. Her head ached terribly as she tried to think of what happened.
Clarke remembered the small, cold river. Alcohol and a dead child. Clarke's head snapped to the side, looking at the corner the child had lay in the day before. She found something lying there, covered up by a blanket.
Lexa must've done that.

Lexa! Her name flashed through her head and then she remembered. They fought, Clarke drank, they kissed.

She raised her left hand and lightly touched her dry lips. Her eyes widened in panic as she realized Lexa wasn't there.
In spite of her aching limbs she jumped up and stormed into the hallway. She looked hectically from left to right, but Lexa was nowhere near.

Don't leave me again. Her thoughts pleaded quietly. Then she prayed, because it was all that was left for her to do.

The noise of swords clacking against each other pulled Clarke out of her thoughts.

"Lexa!" She breathed, her voice hope filled. Her prayers had been answered.
Clarke blindly rushed to the huge metal door that separated her from the outside as she heard the familiar low voice of a leader.

"Clarke, stay inside!" Lexa commanded, but Clarke didn't listen. She stormed outside and found Lexa wildly swinging her sword into the direction of a long haired girl's head.

Lexa swung around and caught the girl off guard as she pressed her sword to her throat.

Clarke stepped closer to make out the girls face. Her hair was a light brown but the dirt that it was covered in, made it look almost black.
She had braids on the left and right side of her head, thin pink lips, and a jaw line sharper than her sword.

"Octavia!" Clarke screamed and grabbed Lexa's arm, pulling her away from the furious girl.
Lexa stumbled backwards and clenched her fists, Clarke was the only reason Octavia wasn't cut in two pieces already.

Indra had trained her well, but she was nowhere near of what Lexa was capable of.

Octavia rubbed her neck and shot Lexa a toxic glare. But Lexa was held back by Clarke.

Lexa raised her eyebrows in surprise as she looked at her. Clarke's golden hair had dried over night and was now lying lightly on her shoulders.

One strand of wavy hair was falling in her face, and with a quick motion she tucked it behind her ear.

Clarke noticed Lexa's stare and her cheeks flushed lightly. Lexa quickly looked away and met Octavia's gaze.

"Why are you here?" Clarke choked out. A wave of relief washed over her - Octavia was alive.

But Octavia didn't asnwer, she just turned her head to the side and heavy steps sounded.
Lexa's eyes widened as Nia crunched the snow, under her boots. She immediately shoved Clarke aside and postured herself in front of her.

Lexa was ruthless about protecting Clarke.

"What are you doing here, Nia?" Lexa growled. But Nia only tilted her head to the side and examined Lexa precisely.

She pulled out her braid that she had cut off and placed in front of Lexa earlier and handed it to her.

"You left this, Lexa." Nia said, followed by Lexa's toxic glare. She was to be addressed by Commander.