Chapter Five

The fog, that had built up at night caressed Clarke's skin lightly and she was wrapped in the cold morning air. Her eyes flattered open and she looked directly into the sky.

The mud underneath her was sticking to her hair and coat. It was quiet except for the wind blowing around Clarke's ears. The sun rise had set in not long ago, and the with sunshine kissed clouds were tinged with a reddish color.

She breathed in the crisp air and sat up. Her eyes were wandering over to the hut, that Lexa had spent the night at. This morning was so peaceful, yet so dull.

Clarke's legs ached when she stood up with a huff. She looked at the ground, where her body had left an imprint of herself, in the mud and took a look around. She didn't see anybody but two men who were guarding the camp, and someone who was sitting in front of the metallic hut.

Clarke rubbed her temples calmly and remembered what she had promised Lexa, but mostly herself, yesterday.

I'll fix it she thought as she gazed over to the person guarding Lexa. Clarke knitted her eyebrows together but the milky twilight didn't allow her to make out the person's face.

After a little while of stretching her limbs, she stepped closer to Lexa's guard. She gently put one foot in front of the other as she squished the mud under her boots.

The harsh touch of a hand on Clarke's shoulder made her startle. But before any kind of noise escaped her lips someone had already pressed their hand onto her mouth. "Sshh.." someone whispered quietly. "Be quiet, sky girl."

Clarke rolled her eyes as she recognized Echo's voice. Echo was the last person that she wanted to be around right now. She slowly loosened her grip on Clarke's shoulder and Clarke lightly pushed her hand away from her face.

"You're up early" Clarke whispered, trying to provoke Echo. "Somebody has to keep an eye on the Commander" She responded, skeptically studying Clarke's appearance.

"Tobys decided to quit, huh?" Clarke shot at her, knowing with perfect clarity that there is no such thing as quitting in the grounders world.

"No" Echo growled under her breath and her eyes snapped to the gate. Clarke felt suspicion cross her expression and asked sharp "Where is he?"

Echo didn't answer, but Clarke could make out a slight smirk on Echo's lips, that disappeared within the blink of an eye. "Where is Tobys?!" Clarke repeated forcefully as she stepped closer to Echo.

Echo tilted her head to the side and narrowed her eyes as she said "careful, sky girl" in a warning tone.

Clarke took a step back. Echo was so different from all the other leaders. She was like a volcano, only alive with boiling lava inside and always ready to break out through the slightest crack.

"He went with Indra to get the other clans." Echo said as she glimpsed over to Lexa's guard. Clarke ran her hand through her knotty hair and scowled as she repeated sharply "Clans??"

She paused and tried to think clearly "There is only supposed to be one Clan!"

There it was again, the smirk, that lightly appeared on Echo's lips. "Plans changed." Was all Echo said.

Plans changed. Clarke didn't understand. Fear started to form in her stomach and she bit her lower lip.

Echo crossed her arms in front of her chest and asked firmly "What side are you on, sky girl?"

Clarke knitted her eyebrows together and stepped closer to Echo "There's not supposed to be more than one side! We came here for peace!" She shouted.