Chapter: 20 - "I promise."

Liam's P.O.V:

The storm grew worse as I arrived at Jasmine's house. I stepped onto the damp wooden porch, feeling anticipation and knocked on the door. I pulled my hoodie off my head as I waited for someone to answer. After no reply I thought Jasmine probably wasn't even here.

What if she was here and her father was trying to rape her again? 

My conspiracies got to me and I twisted on the door knob, surprised that it actually opened. I invited myself into the house and took a look around. It was old, outdated, dirty, and dingy. The only thing lighting the room was a lamp, standing in a corner. I wasn't sure if anyone was here and I was starting to have a abominable feeling towards the situation. Something just didn't feel right.

I crept further into the house. The closer I walked towards the corner where the lamp was placed there was an corrupt odor. Very unpleasant But it was unidentifiable. I walked closer and found a man, lying on the floor, blood surrounded by him, motionless. I held my nose from the stench as my stomach began to turn. I was completely in shock.

Who was this man? Is he dead? Was he murdered?

A soft voice echoed through the room. I turned to the direction I heard the voice and seen light coming from another room. I walked over to the room, frightened of what I was going to see.

What if this person is the killer of that man on the ground?

 I finally reached the room where the light shone. I was in utter awe, seeing Jasmine covered in cuts and blood with her mouth against a medicine bottle. I panicked, knocking the bottle out her hand. She looked at me with no feeling in her expression. 

"Oh my god Jasmine what happened?!" She looked scary. Not from the blood and cuts itself, but from the unknown story behind it. Her eyes weren't the same baby blue, they were dull and blood red. She had cuts covering every inch of pearlescent skin shown on her body and her delicate hands smeared in dry blood.

She was going to kill herself.

"What? What are you thinking?!" My voiced rose from pure freight. If I hadn't come right at that moment Jasmine could've been dead.

"I'm thinking that it's time to go." she spoke as she bent down and grabbing pills from the dirty tile. I raced onto my knees knocking them out her hand. "Will you stop doing that?!" She yelled, reaching for my hand but I grabbed both of her wrist.

I shook her, waiting for her look at me but she kept her head down. This isn't the Jasmine I knew. She was completely scaring the fuck out of me. I didn't even know what to do. I shook her again before she snapped,

"What? What!" The stranger looked dead into me. Her skin was pale under the crimson blood smudged over her. 

This can't be Jasmine. She wouldn't try to kill herself. She wouldn't cut herself again. She wouldn't act this way. No, this isn't Jasmine. It can't be. 

As I looked for an answer she gave me this reality check. This new realization:

This stranger was always here.

 She always hid under Jasmine's serene skin. Waiting for the opportune time to break out of the shell. And her shell cracked under all the pressure, all the stress and pain.

 Tears formed in my eyes but at the time I hadn't noticed I was crying until I felt the tears gather at my chin, creating one big drop and splashing onto the top of my hands.

" But why?! Jasmine, why would you do this to yourself?" Her feet slid forward and she dropped to the floor.

"Because! I have nobody. . ." Tears continued to race out of her eyes and onto her bleeding cheeks as her voice weakened. "See that person lying dead on ground back there?! Yeah, that's my father! The person who tried to rape me, is dead! My mom doesn't even care. I have no idea where she is. I have no friends, no family, you hate me. . . I have no reason to live." She broke down into sobs as I held her wrist carefully.