Part 1- Panic.

"Wake up."

Nothing.

"Please."
 Nothing.

In the face of the unknown, when your body decides to shut down, that's when you really start to panic.

I could hear distant voices and hurried footsteps as I tried to prod him awake.

He was shaking so badly that his limbs were tangled up with his bed sheets. His face was sweaty, and his chest heaved as he mumbled incoherent words.

The door behind me banged open. Rose and Zayden hurried into the room.

"Meredith, what the hell?!" Rose said, taking in the situation.

I didn't say anything. In all honesty I had not registered her words. All I could hear were Chases' screams, everything else was background noise.

"Move Meredith," Zayden said trying to get to Chase who had started screaming in his sleep once again. I stood transfixed, not registering his words, vaguely aware of the fact that I was blocking Chases' body with my own.

Chase, I thought, do I have to lose you too..

"Meredith he's choking. Meredith!" Zayden says desperately.

He pushed past me and I stumbled backwards into Rose.

CHASE, I screamed from within.

"Rose please help me, " Zayden shouted.

Rose ran forward and helped Zayden prise the comforter from around Chases' neck. I hadn't realised that it was choking him. Zayden ran towards the bathroom as Rose muttered words of comfort to my sleeping brother. Zayden came back with a washcloth which he pressed on Chases' fevered forehead.

After a little while his breathing eased and his screams stopped. I felt like a thousand arrows had been wrenched free from my body.

~

Anger. It comes in many forms. Anger. The cause of over a hundred wars in this world. Anger. The emotion which was running through our veins at that very moment. Anger? How does one over come it? That's a question that I don't have an answer for. But what I do know for sure, is that it usually ends with Regret...

It was two in the morning. Though the summer holidays had just begun, the air was very chilly.

Zayden, Rose and I were sitting around the kitchen table. None of us had said a word. Each of us were lost in our own thoughts.

Zayden was grim, Rose looked like she had seen a ghost, and I was angry. Angry with myself, for shutting down, for being so useless back then.

Zayden sighed and looked at me. "Has this ever happened before?"

I looked up from my mug of copy. His face betrayed no sign of emotion, but his eyes- the eyes that I so often got lost in- were full of anger.

"I don't know for sure," I said, trying to search for some sign of reassurance in those dark brown eyes.

He gripped his coffee mug tightly and didn't say a word. I had a feeling that he was restraining himself from speaking his mind or something.

"Zayden what is wrong with you?" Rose said, also noticing his death like grip on his mug of coffee.

"Nothing, I'm just thinking," he gritted out, his icy tone startling me.

"If you have something to say then-" I began.

"How can you not know?" he asked looking up at me again.

"I-" I started, fearing the worst.

"Meredith, can you please tell me the reason for your partial deafness a while ago. Because I fail to understand how a boisterous girl like yourself, can freeze like that." His eyes pierced into me. And it bloody hurt.