Part 1- The Rain.

It had rained the previous night...

Lightning had peeled through the sky, as though determined to burst through the barrier of clouds.

Thunder had shook the city and the cries of over a hundred little children could be heard after each clap of that loud and frightful noise.

I, sadly, was among those hundred who were afraid... and as I lay whimpering on my bed, I a little girl of no more than 10 years of age, I heard the vile scream of a woman outside my bedroom window.

"Mum," I whispered, too afraid to get out and see what the commotion was about.

But my mother wasn't there. She was never there. But it was not her fault. It was that hospital. They never gave her a break. She was always working. She never had time for me. Not on my birthday, not for movies, not for playing in the park. She was never there...

But it wasn't her fault.

I sighed. Trembling slightly, I got out of bed and made my way towards the window. I was still scared, but my more inquisitive side got the better of me. I stood by my window and cautiously peeked out. The rain had turned into a slight drizzle.

I saw a boy, about my age, and a woman, who I presumed to be his mother standing on the street.

"I'm cold mama," I heard the boy saying. I could just about make him out by the street lamp.

He had dark brown hair which was wet due to the rain. His eyes seemed to be light brown in colour. And I thought that I could just make out two dimples at the sides of his face. He also seemed to be taller than me.He was shaking violently. His mother wasn't even considered about the fact that her little boy looked almost ready to collapse.

"I'm not your mother, Zayden," she snapped.

Oh.

He stared at her for a moment, and then dropped his gaze to the ground, almost as if, in defeat.

"I... I'm wet. Even though you had an umbrella, you didn't... "He started saying.

"What? You thought that I would share it with you? Perhaps take you in my arms and love you like you were one of my own? But the sad fact is that you are not. You are nothing to me but an orphan, which I have to put up with. Why did my husband ever have to take you in is beyond me," she spat out. An almost inhuman, look on her face.

"Why do you always say that?" the boy said.

"Oh stop sniveling. I don't pity you," she said and walked away. Without even looking back once, to see if he was following...

The boy roughly wiped his face with the sleeve of his drenched shirt. He still did not look up.

The rain had turned into a light drizzle now. The clouds had almost parted, revealing the milky moon from behind. A cool breeze was blowing. My window creaked a little. In that tranquil night, where everything was quiet, the soft sound of my window moving in the breeze cracked through the stillness of the night-time, like a bullet.

He looked up.

I looked at him.

He turned and walked away,

and I returned to the comfort of lonely, cold bed.

~

It was my first day in school...

My mother had noticed me coming home with bruises and cuts on my face one day. It was not long after that, that she found out I was being bullied in Rochester, my old school.So she took me out. I was now to attend Kellington.

Every fiber of my being trembled in anger when I heard that. I loathed the fact that she thought me to be weak... to be too feeble to handle myself.

This was not true of course. I was constantly alone at home, in school. So I had to train myself to be tough, to not be one of those girls who cry when they fall off their bicycles, or when they shin their knees or whatever the hell they keep crying about.

Nope. I'm a fighter. I'm Meredith Vesper. I fight my own battles. I am never afraid. I am tough. I am not saying that I am one of those kids who pick a fight with everyone and everything for no reason. No. That is never going to be me.

But if someone threatens me, or hurts me, I'm not going to just stand there and watch. I wasn't that well-built, I'm afraid. No muscles, no nothing. But I still knew how to throw a punch. That was enough, for now.

I had never really had any sort companion. It was always me. So I basically had trust issues with some people. Call me difficult.. but when you are a ten year old girl, all alone, no mother, no father, you tend to be a little jumpy about these things.

I protected myself. And I learned to live with that.

~

I was sitting alone behind an apple tree in the park.

My first day in school had been nothing short of a disaster. I was welcomed with ice cold stares and gloating faces. Well, I guess I had that coming, nobody likes a newbie.

I sat alone in school, I sit alone now.

I had my knees drawn up to my chest, and my hands held my face. I groaned in frustration.

"You know, sitting like that isn't going to make the world any different.''

I whirled around and my eyes met a set of light brown ones. He looked different now. His hair was no longer wet, but of a dark brown colour, and it was tousled up, as if he had too many important things to do than keep it neat. He was visibly taller than me, and he wore a casual T-shirt and blue jeans.

He also looked happier than he had that rainy night.

"There's no harm in hoping is there?" I sighed, looking away from him.

He walked towards me, and sat down next to me, leaning against the tree and looking up at the sky.

"Nope. There's no harm. But one day you've gotta face the facts and move on," he said.

"You don't know anything about me," I replied.

"Hi. I'm Zayden Walker,'' he said out of nowhere, sitting up and extending his hand towards me.

"What are you doing?" I asked, suspiciously.

"Well at the moment I'm really hoping that you will shake my hand and save me from a frightfully embarrassing situation."

"How do I know I can trust you?"

He smiled. His face lit up with amusement, and his eyes twinkled with laughter. His dimples bobbed up and down as he said,

"Try me."

______________________________________________

A/N

Hey everyone :)

First of all thank you so much for clicking on this story. You're great !

The story will get better gradually and it will have a lot of twists and turns so I hope that I will do a good enough job to keep you hooked till the end :)

I am also open to suggestions for this book, so feel free to PM me.

Vote, Comment, Share!

*Fist Bump*

-sleeplessinspain :)