Part 1- Surprises and Chocolate Biscuits.

Surprises. We don't expect them, yet we crave them. To some of us its like the discovery of an old T-Shirt, lying forgotten at the back of our closet. The smile that flits across our faces when we pull it out from some godforsaken corner is what makes the discovery so sweet. It brings back memories long forgotten.

Surprises- expected and unexpected.

Which one would you rather be?

~

My friends and I walked into an empty house.

I was puzzled, my mother had said that she would be home today. Talk about unexpected disappointment.

"You guys can dump your bags in my room for now," I said pointing upstairs.

"We're not doing the whole sleeping bag shit are we?" Zayden groaned trudging his way upstairs.

Rose and I shared a skeptical look.

"This is going to be a long night," Rose laughed following Zayden upstairs.

I chuckled, dumping my bag on the floor, I went to my kitchen.

I looked around for some note from mom. There was nothing. I huffed.

I started looking around for food. We were starving, and if we didn't have food then I didn't want to risk Zayden roasting me alive. Trust me, it was highly barbaric and highly possible.

I looked in the refrigerator and took out some packets of instant meals. We were stacked on ice- cream, which I was glad about. I mean whats a sleep over without Ice cream? Dull.

I started looking at all the shelves, taking out different packets and tins.

I stood on my tip- toes trying to feel the back of a particularly high shelf. I couldn't feel anything, which was a bit surprising because this was where mom usually hid all the cookies and muffins and chocolates.

" Uff! "  I huffed stretching myself to try and reach the back. Stretching and crossing my fingers.

"Aw," Zayden said from behind me. "What happened Mer? Too short?"

"Will you please just keep quiet?" I said annoyed. I was still trying to reach the back of the shelf.

"I could, but then I would miss this wonderful opportunity of making fun of you," he chuckled at my despair.

"You always make fun of me" I said turning around to face him with half a grin.

"Well I don't tend to miss opportunities much," he said smiling a little.

I turned back around and again tried reaching the back of the shelf.

I strained all my muscles and I think all the ballerinas in the world would have been jealous at the sheer proximity at which my toes were stretched.

"Come here shorty," Zayden said, and before I could turn around he placed both his hands on my hips and gently lifted me up so that I was now standing on his shoes.

I wobbled a bit trying to gain balance. Zayden slid a hand around my waist, holding me tightly.

I turned around. He smiled at me.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked confused.

I won't lie. I was also slightly flustered. He was dangerously close to me.

"I'm doing this because I can't see you humiliate yourself any longer," he laughed.

I turned around and lifted myself up on my toes once again. Zayden's hands tightened, preventing me from falling over. I grabbed a packet of what felt like biscuits. I turned back around to face him.

"So whatcha find?" he asked.

"Chocolate biscuits. I need to tell mom to re-stock soon," I answered a little sadly.

His hands were still around my waist, and while I was no longer standing on his shoes, he still didn't step away and neither did I.

I looked at him. "Why didn't you get the biscuits down yourself? Why let me do it when you are so obviously taller and more capable?"

He smiled. His dimples bobbed up and down, and I thought that if he didn't say something soon then I was sure to get lost in them.

And who was to bring me back?

"I didn't do it myself Mer, because that would've been too easy. It was your job, you were trying so hard that if I had just done the work myself, you would've felt disappointed in yourself. I didn't have it in me to show you the easy way out Mer. I want you to fight, not look for short cuts."

"Then why did you help me? You are making no sense right now-"

He shook his head.

"Life is a tough battle. You can win a war and you can also loose a war. It is your battle to fight, but I never said that you have to do it all alone. Meredith, without a map you will get lost. You can't do everything alone. You need help, everyone needs help from time to time. And asking for help doesn't mean that you are weak, it just means that you have found another person ready to share your battle scars with you. And that's not such a bad thing. There are no short cuts."

I smiled at him. He was always saving me.

His lips slightly brushed my cheek.

"Alone you can rule a kingdom, but together we can build an empire."

"Brick by brick?" I asked slightly surprised.

He.. kissed me?!

He has never done that before. On the forehead, yes. But never on the cheek.

Oh well. Whatever.

"Brick by brick," he confirmed chuckling.

"Now gimme," he finished grabbing the biscuit packet behind me.

"Hey," I said. "Zayden, those are for all of us."

"What?! I'm going to starve!" he said feigning a shocked look.

"Too bad," I chuckled snatching the biscuits back.

Zayden was just about to say something back to me when the doorbell rang.

"Don't worry I've got it," Rose shouted from the hall.

Now who could that be? An unexpected surprise?

~

A/N

Hey everyone. I know that this chapter is really short but I actually like it this way. I also need it for my next chapter.

Suspense! :D

So anyway, continue reading and voting and don't forget to comment.

*Fist Bump*

-sleeplessinspain