Zoro x reader - First Mate

This is kinda based off and AU I saw on tumblr, and my own feelings when watching Thriller Bark
Also, MASSIVE FEELS

His breaths were becoming shorter, his body aching with the pain.

"I should've been ... Stronger... Damn it..." He gritted his teeth. Sure, Kuma was gone, but the pain was still there.

"(Name) ... I'm sorry to leave you ... Like this ..." It was becoming harder to talk. His life was slipping away, his vision becoming black.

It was so cliché how he saw his life flashing before his eyes. Fighting Kuina, joining Luffy's crew, and meeting her.

He kept on seeing her in his flashbacks. Meeting her, her joining the crew, telling her how he felt, her accepting, and him proposing to her. His (Name).

But now he couldn't even tell her that he loved her one last time. She was unconscious, like the rest of the crew.

"(Name)... I'm so sorry... But this is my duty... As first mate..."

At that point, his legs gave out.

~Timeskip<

"Zoro?" She called out. But there was no response.

"Zoro, where are you?!" She continued.

"(Name)-chwan..." Sanji put his hand on her shoulder. "You need to rest."

"I need to see Zoro! Where is he?!" She begged him, clasping his hand. He looked down at the ground, eyes full of shame.

"Open your hand." He said, and she obliged. He put some sort of material into her hands, and walked away.

You unraveled the material, and realised.

It was Zoro's bandana. Covered in blood.

"Zoro?! No ... That can't be ... He couldn't of..." She began, tears filling her eyes and spilling down her cheeks.

"He ... took his role as First mate seriously." She heard one of the Pirates comment.

"Huh?!" She turned around.

"He took in all of Luffy's pain. It was too much for him obviously. But he was truly dedicated to his captain." The pirate said.

She stood up, not making a sound, the bandana scrunching up in her hold.

~Timeskip~

"I'm so very sorry for your loss, (Name)-San." Brook said.

"No, it's..." She couldn't form words to describe her grief as she placed a bouquet of flowers on the gravestone.

Brook raised his violin, and she seated herself next to him as he began to play a sad tune, a song of morning.

She closed her eyes, still clutching his bandana.

The one thing she had left of her love

Sorry that my first one is so sad, it's just that whilst it's Zoro's birthday, it's also rememberence day here in England for those who died in the First World War, and I thought that this was appropriate. If you'll excuse me, I need to go drown my sorrows in Ice-cream